Rat Snake hiding in my coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Spike4spurs, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Spike4spurs

Spike4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Ok, yesterday I caught him grinning with an egg in his mouth. I thought I had the upper hand since his mouth was full and he was defenseless. Well, he spit the egg out and took off. This morning, all of my chickens were sleeping outside and I'm sure it's because of this snake. Today, only 3 eggs and I saw him disappear between the wall again. I have him trapped but would really like to catch him and move him to the woods down the road. I have already been bit once (which was no big deal) but that is not going to stop me from getting this egg eater! Any suggestions???[​IMG]:weee:weee:weee:weee

2. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:One time I saw a thread similar to this one and someone put golf balls in the nest instead of eggs to catch the snake - or at least it will give him a good stomach ache!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wish my rat snakes would come back.....Had two big ones that lived under my biggest coop for a long time....they left or died, not sure which and then the rats moved in. I'll gladly lose an egg every so often to a snake over the nasty rats I've got now.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:get some buckeyes they should take care of your rat problem.

5. Spike4spurs

Spike4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I did have one living under the coop and knew it was good to keep him around but he eventually left. My fear is since this one is laying in the nests, would he bother or hurt my chickens? Snakes are good but not if they will hurt my babies.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My chickens go after them when they get the chance and so do the barn cats, but they're getting out numbered.

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    but they're getting out numbered

[​IMG]
    sorry but its funny​

9. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010

By buckeyes, do you mean the "chestnuts" from a buckeye or horse chestnut tree? If so, what do they do, and where do you put them? There's some rats in my friend's coop, and she's afraid to use poison. And, while neither buckeyes or horse chestnuts are native to this area, I do know where there's some horse chestnuts growing by the road.

10. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

By buckeyes, do you mean the "chestnuts" from a buckeye or horse chestnut tree? If so, what do they do, and where do you put them? There's some rats in my friend's coop, and she's afraid to use poison. And, while neither buckeyes or horse chestnuts are native to this area, I do know where there's some horse chestnuts growing by the road.

Buckeye is a heritage breed of chicken. They're reputed to be somewhat voracious rodent-getters. However, I agree with Katy on the snake thing. I have actually considered placing a little next box somewhere in/near my coop and stuffing it with gopher snakes that I find around here.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by