1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rat Snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hightower, Jun 27, 2011.

1. hightower

hightower New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Rat snakes
    In Georgia south of Atlanta @ High Falls. I've had a huge rat snake problem. I have 6 steady laying hens. In the last 3 weeks I have caught 4 rat snakes. Some I haven't caught but I know they've been,because no eggs at the end of the day. Normally I will get 3 to 6 eggs everyday. I put moth balls out yesterday, but as of 2 o'clock today..........no eggs. Does anybody have a proven repellant?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yep!
    [​IMG]

3. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    [​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

No repellant but minnow traps and loose piles of deer netting have been used effectively per a lot of people on this site

5. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    My dad and husband say, putting a black or kingsnake around your problem area will help, they both eat other snakes. Now the problem is catching and releaseing one. If you let teenagers know, one most likely appear. We don't have chickens yet--but have black snake shed in our barn once evey few years. Lime on the gound is said to repell them , never tried it.

6. Imker

Imker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Limestone Cove
    "Wow... what a big worm!"

[​IMG]

7. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I was reading a book from FFA on" How to raiseraising poultry" and they say that their geese ate and killed all of the copperheads on their property. Please post and let me know IF you try this and it works. I would consider adding a goose if we start having a snake problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by