Rat snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by koifarm, Sep 18, 2009.

1. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Went out today to clean the coop and gather eggs, and discovered about a 3' yellow rat snake in one of the nesting boxes.
    Picked up the other eggs and removed them, grabbed the snake and lo and behold it had an egg in it's belly.....
    Needless to say, I relocated the snake in the deep woods across from the house and probably a good 300 yds from the coop. Hopefully he'll get the idea and continue foraging elsewhere.
    I left the egg in the snake, figured he'd like a good meal one time at least.....but he looked funny with this big egg about 6" down his gullet, even tried to strike at me when I released him....
    We've had other snakes in the coop in years past and mostly garters or rat snakes, never a poisonous one, yet........I don't begrudge them an egg now and then and always relocate them imho they are beneficial predators.
    I've seen pictures though, of snakes with as many as six eggs in em....
    No real way to keep them out so we just remove/relocate and that takes care of it.

2. toomanychickens

toomanychickens New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Hate to say this, but 200 yards is not far enough. Take it about 5 miles or so. I tried droping one off once about 1 mile away and it was back within a week. Yes it was the same one due the problem it had with tale.

3. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good thought Toomany....I'll keep an eye out for him and next time take him to the nearest shopping mall.....or waaaay down the road....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by