Rat with a Nose Bleed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RAWR, Jul 7, 2010.

1. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    I have a 7 or 8 month old lab rat named Lucky. Today I gave him his first bath, used Dawn and a Whitening Shampoo on him. Bathed him in the sink, in warm water. anyway, when i was drying him off, i noticed some blood on the wash cloth. So i look him over, and his nose was pinker then usual. so i dabbed his nose with my finger, and there was speck of blood on my finger. Do rats get nose bleeds? Is that okay?

2. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I doubt it was an actual nose bleed it was probably their stress release. I believe its called porphyrin.

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    okay [​IMG] that makes me feel better

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    MomtoSyd&Emma :

I doubt it was an actual nose bleed it was probably their stress release. I believe its called porphyrin.

I didn't realize there was a name for that - we've seen that almost every time we've washed a rat, but the rat always seems OK.​

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    You wash rats. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why would you wash a rat? My daughter's rat Henrietta live to be over three years old and never had a bath. Her cage was cleaned regularly, and she had absolutely no odor. Why would you bathe a rat? It is highly stressful to them.

7. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I agree with others, why bathe a rat?
    It stresses them out, and there is always the possibility that they'll ingest soap later when grooming themselves.

8. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    I have washed bucks when their buck grease gets thick. Males also like to pee where they sleep.
    I have also bathed rats if i want to introduce them. It removes their smell and there is no fighting.

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Bathing rats doesn't stress them anymore than bathing a dog. Some even like playing in the water! [​IMG]

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Quote:But if one isnt used to or ever had a bath, it can stress them out. I had 2 rats that LOVED water, 2 that would scream if you put a bowl of water and peas in their cage. I guess it depends on the individual.

Heck we had a basset hound that would try to kill you if you bathed her, and we have a Chihuahua that will get in the bathtub with you! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by