Rat with a Nose Bleed

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
I have a 7 or 8 month old lab rat named Lucky. Today I gave him his first bath, used Dawn and a Whitening Shampoo on him. Bathed him in the sink, in warm water. anyway, when i was drying him off, i noticed some blood on the wash cloth. So i look him over, and his nose was pinker then usual. so i dabbed his nose with my finger, and there was speck of blood on my finger. Do rats get nose bleeds? Is that okay?

okay
smile.png
that makes me feel better

MomtoSyd&Emma :

I doubt it was an actual nose bleed it was probably their stress release. I believe its called porphyrin.

I didn't realize there was a name for that - we've seen that almost every time we've washed a rat, but the rat always seems OK.​

Why would you wash a rat? My daughter's rat Henrietta live to be over three years old and never had a bath. Her cage was cleaned regularly, and she had absolutely no odor. Why would you bathe a rat? It is highly stressful to them.

I agree with others, why bathe a rat?
It stresses them out, and there is always the possibility that they'll ingest soap later when grooming themselves.

I have washed bucks when their buck grease gets thick. Males also like to pee where they sleep.
I have also bathed rats if i want to introduce them. It removes their smell and there is no fighting.

Quote:
But if one isnt used to or ever had a bath, it can stress them out. I had 2 rats that LOVED water, 2 that would scream if you put a bowl of water and peas in their cage. I guess it depends on the individual.

Heck we had a basset hound that would try to kill you if you bathed her, and we have a Chihuahua that will get in the bathtub with you! lol

Back
Top Bottom