Rate my Ameraucana Roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LastChanceRanch, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Hello all. I have been trying to get a good rooster for my BBS Ameraucana pen. I have hatched out quite a few bunches and I have a black roo that has found a place in my heart. He is super sweet and even as a free ranger he allows me to walk up to him and pick him up. His feathers are super, super shiny and irredescent and I think he has some filling out to do still yet (he is only 4 months old). But, anyways, my son wants to show a rooster next year at 4H and he would really love to use this bird "Noir". Let me know what you think, we love honesty [​IMG]

Noir (side view) and one of his blue ladies
    [​IMG]

Noir quartered twoards the camera
    [​IMG]

Noir facing the camera
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    From what I see in the photos, my only complaint/dislike would be in his amount of fluff. He should have less thigh fluff going on and a tighter, more tucked up rear. With that in mind his wings appear to be a little low and loose. Otherwise his beard/muffs, comb, tail, breast, legs, etc look nice. [​IMG]

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    From what I can see, he looks pretty good. The close up of his comb is pretty blurry. Does he have a three-row pea comb? What does he weigh? As you mention, he is young and is still filling out. Check him against the Ameraucana standard weight. You and your sun could have a good run in the next 4-H show! Good luck!

4. LastChanceRanch

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Thank you all for your input!

Yes, he does look a little "fluffy" now that you mention it. Maybe I can shave him down [​IMG]

and yes, he does have the standard three row pea comb. I will have to check his weight, I didn't even think about that yet! [​IMG]

Overall, sounds like he would do ok for 4H for my kidlet and I'll go ahead and let him try him out in the spring. All of your opinions are super helpful thank you!

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    he very nice i like the fluff and right now so do the judges
    is he from john blem i raise ameraucanas in vassar

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think he'll be great for 4H, but he does look a little on the big side. Keep tabs on his weight as it gets closer to spring.

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:a lot of the ameraucanas are too small that u see in the showring i know my blacks are mutch bigger and some my other bird cock bird should be about 61\\2lb but 7 or 8 lb males better then a 5 lb male

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I like him. I don't think he has too much fluff, it's just the way his legs look as he is walking.

Nice comb, nice top line, looks good size to me. I think you can be over/under on the weight by 10%.

9. LastChanceRanch

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Ok, my son grabbed him and was carrying him around so I put him on the scale just to check him out. He is 6 1/4 pounds right now. Being a little young, I'm sure he may add a tad bit more weight by the spring. But, thank you for the weight/fluff input chickendales and pips&peeps. I am going to let him to go the show and I'll be sure to update how he does [​IMG]

Chickendales- He is actually from a BYC member Rockinpaints (in Ohio). I got some eggs from her this year and he was the "stud" of the bunch [​IMG] I have some from dipsydoodle and sonew also. I am going to expand the bloodlines a bit this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by