1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rate my Coturnix Coop?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Maxwell Schmidt, Nov 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maxwell Schmidt

Maxwell Schmidt In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2017
    Hey Everyone,
    Im fairly new to raising quail but its been a lot of fun so far. I'm just looking for some feedback on my set up thus far and maybe what looks good and any recommendations . Ive got a small covey of coturnix (2 male 8 female) that seem to be pretty happy in their coop which is 3'x6'x16" tall. one Third of the coop is covered and insulated on all sides with a 75w ceramic heater bulb that kicks on any time the temp dips below -5c (23f). the outside 2/3rds is chicken wire all around with 1/3rd covered just on top. They've got a dirt bath (sand, diatomaceous earth and oyster shell) as well as a 100w bulb that kicks on at dusk to give them 15h of light and a little extra warmth. There are 2 water dispensers and 2 feeders with duck starter (20%protein) + ground fish food, mealworms and seeds to boost protein. at some point I'd like to get into hatching and raising chicks but all in due time.

let me know what you think! thanks for any feedback.
    -Max IMG-0897.JPG FullSizeRender (1).jpg

2. EarthboundEiniosaurus

EarthboundEiniosaurus In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    Looks great to me! :thumbsup

TwoCrows likes this.
  3. Mylied

Mylied Crowing 6 Years

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    It looks very nice to me. :) If you have stray dogs or anything like that, be careful using chicken wire. They can tear through that no problem. Hardware cloth is more secure. Other than that 10!

007Sean and TwoCrows like this.
  4. NevilChick

NevilChick Chirping

Apr 7, 2017
    Like the lamps on timers for temp. and the dust bath. I just watched a video on here of a raccoon trying to get someone's quail. I don't know how far off of the ground your pen is, but that would be a big concern with the wire...previous comment. I use hardware cloth also with most of mine, but had a possum or raccoon chewing through it because it was low. Those little critters have sharp teeth. Good luck with raising quail. I absolutely love them!

5. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Looks nice. Other than agreeing with the previous comments regarding using chicken wire, the only thing I would add is hiding places or things to go under. Mine love the big branch I cut off a pine tree and the little 'boxes' I made from scrap wood. It will really help come spring time when the males' hormones start revving up for mating so they aren't always in each other's line of sight.

6. Peckadoodle

Peckadoodle Chirping

Nov 11, 2017
    Not a coop...it's a palace. Quail are such lovely birds, and am sure the little ones appreciate the warmth. Agree with advice given, as they do like hiding places.

7. TLC Mini Farm

TLC Mini Farm In the Brooder

Nov 15, 2017
    Looking good! My only idea is to use a larger sandbox. I have 8 quails and I use a cat litter pan. I find they like to be in there together for a communal bath. I agree with the others regarding the hardware cloth and I love the auto light!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Along the lines of what Lomine suggested, you might add some fake foliage or branches. I used to use fake Christmas trees for brush cover in the aviaries. Quail love to linger and hang out under brush. They feel very secure with brush and it keeps them from flushing up, they would rather dive for cover then go up.

Great set up!! :)

9. Lovely little flock

TwoCrows likes this.
  10. User51213

User51213 Hatching

Dec 21, 2017
    rats,racoons and other predator will love your setup.

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: