Rate my Modern Game Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juliechick, Jan 18, 2010.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I recently bought 4 Birchen Modern Game Bantam pullets. Can you tell me how their quality is? I've been looking at pictures, but I'd like some expert's opinion.
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Gosh, Julie, I'm sure I don't know, but they sure have some long legs, don't they?

3. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Hey, Jen. Yes, they look like Sand Pipers and I love the way they pick their feet way up to step. I wonder if there is anyone on here who knows something about them?

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am curious...how do those moderns behave? Are they friendly with the other birds in your flock?

5. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    may I see a frontal picture of each of them? there are 2 of them that look good.

6. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    As always pictures don't always tell the whole story but I will give you an opinion

They are not bad, but I would like them better if they were hens, not pullets
    They seem a little bottom heavy- too much fluff in the vent area
    the backs seem good- not too long
    could stand a little more reach- length in legs
    Wings are tucked up rather nice but the tails are flared so it is hard to tell if they hold it up too high

The color is fair- some are black capped and red faced (should be mulberry)
    don't seem to have any lacing on their breast
    Leg color could be darker

Having said all that if you were to put an over laced male over them you could come up with some nice birds.

Bob

7. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    blackred, Thank you for your response. One of the girls has some lacing, I'll try to post a frontal picture of them later. Do you think they are pullets? I forgot to ask how old they are. One of them did the squat for me yesterday, so they are at least laying age.

As far as their behavior, they are very easy to handle. My little boy (6) had one of them sitting with him on the couch last night. [​IMG] I think they have been shown before, or at least trained to be shown, because they seem used to being handled. I don't know about them with other chickens yet, because I haven't put them in with my flock yet. I just got them two days ago.

8. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    I have self blues from Ideal. They are the friendliest birds, even the roo. I call them lap chickens, because they will sit there all day in your lap to be petted! Mine have not yet laid, but should this spring. They are now 9 months old. I ended up with 3 gals and roo.............................
    [​IMG]

9. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    They look like little dinosaurs!! [​IMG] I like them!

10. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG]

This is the only one I have a front shot of right now. She is also the only one that has any lacing, I think. There are two that look almost exactly alike, so it's hard to keep them straight. They even both have the same color bands on their legs and wing clips. I am loving them. They have a funny little croaky voice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by