Rate of eggs hatching when shipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovemychicks2much, Apr 14, 2009.

1. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    Hey everyone I was wondering if you all had good luck with shipped eggs I know my experience but I was wondering because I purchases 10 eggs from Lady on here and only 4 of them are developing and when I told her about that she told me that she never had good success with eggs hatching when they was shipped her hatch rate was as follows she only had 8 chicks from year before last out of 42 eggs and this year has only had 28 chicks out of 84 i have never had a hatch rate that low and so i was just wondering what everyone else had. Have i just been lucky from the past on my hatch rate or did i just get a bad set of eggs that wasnt fertile becasue i checked the air sacks on them when i got them and they was great nothing moved or mis shappened so i thought i would ask and see what everyone else thought

thanks All

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've had great luck, 10 out of 13, and 2 out of 2 same shipment, but I've also had 0, its always a crap shoot but you have to have good eggs to start with.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I hatched 10 chicks out of 14 eggs last week. They were shipped to SC from TN.

A lot depends on how the eggs were packed and then you cross your fingers and hope the postal workers don't play football with your package !

4. Chickengirl-In-NC

Chickengirl-In-NC New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    I am incubating shipped eggs now, they arent due to hatch till the 16th and I have one already out and 4 peeping. I ordered 20 and had to get rid of 4 after candleing them and nothing there so I have 16 and so far I will have 5 by morning

5. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    that is what i was thinking was i got ahold of some non fertile eggs but what can you do

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I learned that shipping eggs can cause eggs to look infertile or not develop so just because the eggs never developed does not mean they were not fertile. I have recieved shipped eggs twice. 1st time eggs were packed AWESOME none broken i got 9. Out of 9 only 3 hatched. I recieved another shipment of eggs..No so good packed ALOT broken and with broken air sacs. Out of about 22 eggs i got 0. You take chances went you order eggs and have them ship. So many things can go wrong along the way to your home. Thats why noone will garentee shipped eggs because of this matter. You can only hope you get someone who knows how to package really good and has good eggs...that are fresh and not old.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you either got infertile eggs or the PO did something, put them in a hot spot, x-ray or something, you never know

8. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    It varies tremendously..

my best was 13 out of 16...
    my worst 1 out of 20

both times reputable breeders.... well wrapped....

9. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I've only had two shipments of eggs so far. The first, 15 eggs, 2 or 3 arrived broken, I forget which. Only one hatched. I forget how many didn't develop at all.

Next was 26 eggs, 3 removed at day 10, 3 clears and a blood ring, and hatched 8. So much better this time, though still not great. A lot may have been error on my part, the eggs were good, and well packed.

I have 14 coming in a few days, then another batch after those, so I'll see how they turn out. I decided maybe smaller batches, like 12-15 rather than over 2 doz., might be better until I build a second 'bator. That way I can carton-hatch, and the chicks will have some space in there outside of the carton. That will also give me room to put a few of my own eggs (well, my chickens' eggs) in too, so if I get another single hatch from the shipped eggs, it will have some other chicks for company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by