1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rate the Orpington!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austrolover1, Feb 5, 2016.

1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I am doing a project including chickens, so i was going to ask about some things about different chickens. If you wouldn't mind, would you rate the Orpington (1-10 worst to best). When you do rate this think about their egg production, broodiness, etc. Also please tell why you chose the number you chose! Thanks a million!!!!!

2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I live on the coast of California and have a small flock of hens. We started with six different breeds. The buff Orpington was my favorite. A good layer and so sweet and tame. Loved to sit in our laps. She did have issue with eggs breaking inside her and I often had to be treated for the problem. She lived to be about 5. I have another now, she has had no health problems in 3 years. She is also the tamest of the three.
    Hope this helps. You can read about Daisy, our buff, on the websites below.[​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would personally rate Orpingtons about an 8 as they are very cold hardy, beautiful, friendly and gentle (great lap pets), and good layers of brown eggs. The only reasons that I wouldn't rate them a 10 is they are not as heat hardy nor as good at laying as Australorps for example.

4. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Thanks for the quick feedback! I forgot to mention I need at least ten ratings befor I average it out. So any more numbers would be great!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by