rather large egg to rubbery egg???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhoni T, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Rhoni T

Rhoni T Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    One of my Americans laid a rather large egg, and then laid a rubbery egg. And is now just laying around not moving. She acts fine just not moving. She has also been known to lay eggs with a hole in the end, but thought she'd out grown that. She will be a year old in two months. I have read about the calcium and eggs getting stuck, I'm not thinking that is the problem since they all get calcium on a regular basis, but not sure about the egg being stuck, that might explain the rather large egg. So again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Rhoni T

May 20, 2012
    She stayed the night in the crate in our house. She made it through the night, I got her to drink a little water last night, she ate one dried worm. But she still will not walk. ??????

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

I will try not to ramble on here. The big egg she layed was it wrinkley? Then the next egg rubbery without the shell? If this is the case it could be that it was too close to nightfall and if she has not layed the egg on that day she will what I call the "pucker factor" and hold onto the egg till the nect day, further depleting the calcium for the next egg to form. As long as she is not prolapsed (vent hanging out) then don't worry too much as you say they get their share of calcium. This could exhaust the hen for a couple of days up to a week even for recovery.She may not be so ambitious. If after 3 days without water of 5 or so days not eating then I would be a bit worried but not until then. Those oversized eggs most of the time end up as double yolkers in my experience. Just give her some TLC... :)

5. Rhoni T

May 20, 2012
    Update: after a week my hen finally started moving around and has now gone back to laying. I did pull her out from the rest, I have a rather aggressive roo, and gave her 4 days of R&R, hand feed and watered her then put her back in with the rest.

6. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Glad to hear she bounced back! I had a hen that layed collapsible eggs sometimes. She was adult when I got her and never was a consistent layer. Whenever she'd start laying again after being "off" for whatever reason, the first couple times she'd lay those soft shell eggs. She did okay usually after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by