rating my plan

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marvun22, Mar 16, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    here's the case i keep on making improvements to keep the raccoon out of my coop. i've made the last improvement i can. it's personal now, it killed my favorite chicken. if it breaks in again i'm giving up on my current coop and making another. but it's GUARANTEED it won't get any tonight. here's the plan. i have my front door is facing west. either way i have about a billion entrances into my barn. the door right next to my coop if facing south. the racoon enters three ways. my wife (who is a pretty good shot) will watch 2 entrances, while i watch the 3rd entrance. but im not exactly watching it. my wall is plywood for 4' and chicken wire for the rest. there's only one area where it can enter the coop, and it takes it about 20 seconds as it is carefully walking on a really high board. my roost is 2 pieces of plywood and 2 2x4 boards. im gonna be hiding under one of the pieces of plywood. if it jumps onto the high board me and my wife will hear it and if i dont and if it somehow gets into the coop, im going to just swiftly jump from my hiding place and scare the living daylights (incorrect actually because i'll be doing this during night) out of him. if it fights back i have a 1' knife that i've killed a couple other pestly creatures with. if it doesnt get stabbed and it tries to escape my wife will shoot him.

2. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Quite the plan... Sounds like it would be much easier to make a new coop. [​IMG] That plan sounds quite foolproof, if you don't fall asleep. :) GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Hopefully it works! [​IMG]
    -Kyle

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    a new coop is plan b if the coon gets one more chicken or duck. i forgot to throw in i have a live trap as well.

4. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    i had that problem so we tied up the barn dog by the coop at nite ,this summer will be going on 4 years without any raccoon problems.... be careful though raccoons are pretty mean when cornered. and good luck[​IMG]

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    that raccoon cant be as mean as i wanna be to him. and my dog is huge and he's also a wimp. cats scare him.

6. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    lol.. yea im not sure if my dog acutally scares them and knows it he just barks really load at every little sound if a big 1 came after him he would most likely hide be hide the chicks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by