ratio for chick starter and grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by urban-chick-mom, May 7, 2011.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I am a new chick mom. My chicks are 3 weeks old now and I want to mix the grit in with the food. Does anyone know the ratio? I have been just sprinkling the grit on top of the food but was wondering if I could mix them to make it easier. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    You can either keep sprinkling it in their food or just pour it in a separate bowl & let them have it free choice. They are old enough for that now.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I'm not being critical but only curious; Why would you want to mix grit with chick's feed?

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If all that you are feeding them is chick starter they have no need of grit. It's just dry mush.

Anything that you yourself would need to chew with your teeth to eat they will need grit for.

As for the proper ration just sprinkle it on top of their feed like you were salting it. That's all they need. Alternatively you could set a small container such as a tuna can full of dry coarse sand in the brooder and let them get what they want when they feel the need.

5. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Thanks for the advice. I just thought it would be easy to mix with the food. I think I will just put in a separate bowl for them.

6. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I put my 3 week old chics in the big house a couple of days ago as our daytime temps are high 80's and nightime temps 70....they were just getting too big for the brooder...

Anyway, because now they can forage in the run, grass, bugs, etc. I mixed in a 5lb bag of ground chic grit (granite) to about 30 lbs of their crumbles per the instructions on the grit bag and they are doing well so far.

7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:That seems like an excessive amount. Are you sure the bag doesn't say 1lb to 30-40 lbs of food?

8. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:That seems like an excessive amount. Are you sure the bag doesn't say 1lb to 30-40 lbs of food?

Good catch....[​IMG]

now that I think about it...the bag of grit was not very big...it probably was more like 1lb....[​IMG]

I did followed the instructions on the bag

9. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    thanks for the info everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by