Rationing feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jools2014, Sep 18, 2016.

1. jools2014

jools2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi everyone. I currently have 4 chickens and 5 ducks. I bought a rat proof feeder last year as I was getting rats in and eating the food. I though this feeder was amazing and it got rid of the rats..for a while. They are now back and they have suddenly figured out how to get INTO the feeder! I don't know if the feeder has malfunctioned or what but rodents are NOT supposed to be able to get into this feeder it's made out of metal and has a pedal that the birds step on to open the flap-this is meant to be too heavy for rodents.

Having a rodent get into this feeder is a massive problem for obvious reasons but also, once in there I don't think it can get out of the one-way flap so it would be stuck in there until I take the lid off and let it out. The flap is prevented from opening with the pedal by the rat/mouse being in there-which also means the birds can't get the feed! Luckily the first time it happened i heard the flap go even though all my birds were outside-so I knew something was in there luckily else i might not have checked for a couple of days knowing there was enough food in there. Turns out that was a mouse-I'm pretty sure it got in there itself, now a big rats not supposed to be able to operate this feeder nevermind a mouse.

It just happened again-something was in the feeder flicking all the food out! luckily I heard it again else may not have checked-I will always be checking from now on that the feeder opens so nothing can be in there!

Ok so basically, I thought of only feeding my birds with me there-is this plausible? There is always someone at home so someone could go out 3 times a day and put food down. Do other people do it? And also if anyone has any experience with the type of feeder I mentioned I'd love to know if you have had the same problem. I have all food bags in a metal bin and bought a rat proof feeder and the **** things are still getting to the food!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I suggest that you switch to fermented feed. Feed them a bit in the morning, and again late afternoon. The moist feed can not be readily carried back to the rodent's nest. Nor is it as likely to be billed out of the feeder, like dry feed is. No matter what you feed your flock, do not leave any food outdoors overnight. Be sure your feed is kept in a metal container, and tightly covered. Both rats and mice can chew through plastic. I also suggest that you mount an all out war on both mice and rats. Use snap traps, or electric zapper traps, live traps, sticky traps (for mice), or you can do some searches for barrel, bucket traps, as well as some of the other creative traps that can be made. In your situation, I'd also put out some secure bait stations with some poison. Many folks hate the idea of using poison. I consider it a last resort, but it's better than dealing with an infestation.

3. jools2014

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you I will try and get some of that feed. I don't have as much a problem as I used to-now it seems to be mainly mice if I see any, maybe the odd rat-before it was lots of rats. All my food is in metal containers there is nothing out at night. I'm wondering if this feeder has broke since there didn't used to be one pellet on the floor before but in the last few weeks there seems to be pellets on the floor now when the chickens eat.

I do have a live trap that seemed pretty good but I have not used it for a while-will have to again. Poison will be next step-it's not what I thought I would have to deal with when I got chickens but it doesn't help that our pen was really poorly built so the rodents can get in it pretty much anywhere. I will not be getting anymore birds after my current ones are gone it is too much hassle.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It is not a special feed. You make it from your existing feed. Do a topic search on Fermented Feed, and you will find plenty of information. You just mix your feed in a bucket with water, and let it sit for a few days till it bubbles. Mix it about the consistency of cooked oatmeal.

5. jools2014

Aug 7, 2014
    Oh haha yeh of course, thank you I will look it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by