rats, ammonia, filth...DISGUSTING!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Swiffer Duster Frizzle, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Swiffer Duster Frizzle

Swiffer Duster Frizzle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    I visited a champion breeder last week to purchase chicks. This person has won countless awards and has great respect and reputation throughout the breeders club and nation. I was appalled and disgusted at the living conditions of the fowl this person housed. While walking to one of the houses, they were large rats scurrying near my feet running for cover! Not just two or three, but countless! I was hesitant to continue, thinking maybe this will get better. Ha!
    The house was putrid! The champion hens and roo's were caged in feces thick, filthy cages. Ammonia so strong it burned my nose and eyes. Flies and maggots...GAG!
    The chickens went beserk when we walked through. Feathers, dust and dirt flew everywhere. I had to cover my eyes and nose to avoid breathing in the debris.
    The person pulled out eggs from a few cages that were covered in liquid feces and offered to sell them to me, which I refused. I reminded the person I was interested in chicks, NOT! The person shrugged and said the eggs would be shipped out later that day...what? God knows if the buyers could see this, they surely would not buy...or would they? Do I have high standards? I think if my coops go three weeks without cleaning it's neglect. Boy, this must be over two or three years!
    Luckily, the chicks I wanted weren't available. I was offered a tour of the other houses, which I politely declined. I ripped off my sweatshirt before getting into the car, and wiped my hands, neck, face with bacteria wipes. My hair was brushed and pants were dusted off. Thankfully, for whatever reason this person had...hahahahhaaha BIOSECURITY concerns or whatever, I was told to change into boots so I had no concerns about my shoes. I felt sooooooo dirty after leaving there and couldn't wait to shower.
    It makes one wonder where our hatching eggs and chicks really come from. I usually have them shipped. It makes me think twice about buying. I think I'll just stick with my own little flock and breed within.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Been there and seen it with a breeder that has won awards as well.
    Very sad, isn't it?

3. Swiffer Duster Frizzle

Mar 2, 2011
    Yes, sad and very sick. I wanted to rescue them and him.

4. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I'm sorry for your experience..that's a shame those birds have to live like that. I had the opposite experience..went to a breeder last week and I can't say enough how IMMACULATE his place was. You could just about eat off the floor and he was apologizing..saying he had to clean the pens. I asked him if he was serious lol! Amazingly clean and he was a wonderful person to buy from..incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Stunning birds to boot!

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I guess it takes all kinds.....................and some kinds we could do without.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wouldn't buy from someone like that. I couldn't deal with that and would be reporting it to the authorities if I saw it firsthand, from your description. Hopefully, it's not the norm. My birds have it so good. Was this person supposed to be NPIP?

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    In my case, I did report it. Seem like if they have food and water and there are no carcasses laying around, they can't/won't do anything about it.
    I came home with NOTHING from this place-too risky for my blood.
    I was also told on the DL to, "Be careful..." whatever the heck that was supposed to mean.

8. Swiffer Duster Frizzle

Mar 2, 2011
    Quote:I don't know if the person is NPIP. They don't have a website, and the breeders list doesn't reveal it.
    Hmmm, that's something to think about. If the person is showing they would have to have their birds tested.

9. Swiffer Duster Frizzle

Mar 2, 2011
    I'm amazed the chickens weren't suffering from respiratory ailments. I wonder how is that avoided?

10. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh my. I cant believe anyone would even live in that type of condition. I do not like my birds even being rained on. I go out and fluff up their nesting boxes every day. I am so sensitive to smells that I would have not even stayed. Funny how some people use the biohazard as a excuse for people not to see the real living conditions. If they are so worried how bout cleaning their cages. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by