Rats and ants...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Poliwag, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I got myself a Ratzapper and got 4 rats in the first 4 days and then nothing for a while. I think the problem was because the ants were going after the bait. The bait was always completely covered in ants. I only recently setup a way where the Ratzapper would be on a bowl in the middle of a big dish filled with water so the ants wouldn't get to it and sure enough, I got 3 rats in a row. But, somehow, each of the rats were covered in ants, how is that possible?! Are they jumping from the celling or something?!

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If you have anything at all that works consistently on rats, be very grateful. Some who post on here have had real horror stories to tell about those things.[​IMG] Cannot figure about the ants showing up that way. A game cam would likely tell the story.

I just read where the 60th shipload of muslim refugees has arrived in Australia. Is that true? Nothing on TV at all about it here in USA, and same for our boatloads. Been coming here since first 3000 did in gulf war #1. Mosques going up everywhere in larger cities and appearing in smaller towns now too.

3. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Gee...what a nice guy you are to show your concern for our fellow human beings. That's really nice [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Gee...what a nice guy you are to show your concern for our fellow human beings. That's really nice [​IMG]

Learn to read before commenting. There is nothing expressing either a concern or lack of concern in my post. It is a question followed by an observation of what is happening here, with no bias except for what you added. [​IMG]

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 2ndtimearound

2ndtimearound Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Omaha
    I never heard of the ratzapper before, [​IMG] but I'm glad to hear it works. [​IMG] Ants, on the other hand, can be pretty tough to get rid of. At my house, they change their base location periodically, making them hard to wipe out. You have one head start though - the fact that they were all over your bait and all over the rats makes me believe it would be easy to attract and kill them, either using ant traps or other means. Good luck with them - I know the horrible pests they can be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by