1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rats and lots of them and I need to kill them!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newbiechickenowner, Mar 16, 2011.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    We have rats. Many! They are outside the "compound" and come out at night. Their tracks are all around the outside of the fencing. They are also under the duck house...>We have seen them at dusk under the wire floor. We have chicken coops and duck houses. I need ways to kill them. Advice would be greatly appreciated! Live traps are not an option...they are expensive, I don't want to "re-locate" them in anyway...I want them GONE! and, I think there are a BUNCH!

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sit out and pop em with a 22, use the snap traps, use peanutbutter plaster balls, or if your pets can't get to the dead ones poison.

AC

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Get some outside cats

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    what are the peanut butter blasters? Do tell. I don't have a 22...just bb- guns... I wouldn't mind poisening and I think I can on the outside of the compound, but, the ones that are under the duck house, I don't know WHAT to do with them because they are buried right under there...don't know how to get at them! Do tell!

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The peanutbutter plaster balls is a mix of peanutbutter and plaster of paris I believe. If you research on here you should be able to find the "mixings" The plaster hardens in the stomach making the rat unable to eat thus dieing similar to poison but without the secondary poisoning to other animals that may eat it.

AC

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First, GROSS, I hate rats. Second, sorry you are dealing with this. Third, be careful using poison. Even if you use poison outside the "compound" rats can move quite a distance while they are dying and may find their way near your birds.
    What do you think is attracting them? I have heard that it is usually food, so I make sure I lock the food up tight at night.

Good luck!!

(Edit for typo)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    The manure pile...they are always over there. Broken eggs and the ones that were able to get in under the duck house are coming out at dusk and eating the duck food that spills out. I have it over a large bucket, but, they still get stuff around.

8. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Our cats wont touch a rat.

The dogs love to chase them and kill em, we have jack russels.

BB gun works great also, not as loud and a little safer.

when I bait with poison, I get the kind that I can fasten down[with a nail or screw] so they have to eat it to take it, not carry it off, and Im such a nice guy, I even leave them a bowl of water for when the are done eating the poison.

We never had a problem with rats til the canning factory moved all their workers in from another country in next door, then we had rats everywhere and chickens were gone missing, the dogs were bribed out of the yard and then were stoned................It was a night mare! We still find a rat now and then, but NOTHING like it used to be.

Good luck to ya.

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Eewww rats! Well, I do know this. Rats can not throw up. Soooo, you can take just about anything like peanut butter and mix in brillo. Right now I have a mouse problem. They are soo tiny. They are in with my ducks and my chickens. I might get those sticky traps that are enclosed. I wouldn't want one of my birds getting stuck to it. That's already happened once. Yeah, it was kind of funny but not if you know what I mean. Luckily I got the sticky thing off her foot. Good luck.

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by