1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rats, bloody rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by richje100, Oct 29, 2009.

1. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    i went to collect the eggs this evening, hens roosting like they normally do. heard a scratching & ruffling noise. thought nothing of it, just maybe the hens shuffling about. low & behold 2 rats came running out of the coop. now i know why the food has been disappearing pretty quickly.
    anyone got any suggestions to killing them? i could put traps to kill them out of the way of the birds, but anyone got any idea how many rats there could be by experience? the shed is on an allotment & theres a few plots with chickens, suppose ive been waiting for them to venture onto my patch.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    omg, i saw one last night and screamed...haha
    they have a new trap you buy, it goes in and the door shut, you toss! no mess, seeing death an snapping traps that could get chicken feet

3. richje100

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    when i told the wife, she shuddered. i dont mind them but when they bother me, thats when ill kill them. they ran from under the nest boxes (i have them sitting on a table which i've put boardingg across the front to stop the hens going underneath & cutting themselves on screws). ill have to strip it away, lay the traps then disinfect the shed & food bowl. bloody things !!!

4. Lady_Cluck

Lady_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Arghghgh, nothing makes me madder than rats in the barn!!! A few years ago when a neighbor's old barn burned down, all their rats moved in to my barn and I had HUNDREDS of them!

I've heard the saying that for every 1 rat that you see, there are 25 that you don't. [​IMG]

The best solution I've come up with to manage my own rat problem is 1: don't leave any feed out overnight, no matter what, and 2: the Rat Zapper!

This thing works great. I have two of them and they keep the rat population down to a minimum. It's humane, no mess...and most importantly there is no poison for any chickens to accidentally ingest!!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you have a set up where you can prevent rat entry with hardware cloth or other barriers, this is the only long term solution.
    They will go out during the day (maybe not the first day but in time, because they usually will want this or that from the outdoors) and won't be able to get back in in the evening when their access has been cut off, at which point they will head for greener pastures elsewhere.
    Make sure all food is unavailable at night (metal cans with weights on top).
    JJ

6. richje100

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    so,
    2 jack russells been on the hunt, didnt find anything. so at least i know the nest isnt anywhere my shed.
    the traps are set with chocolate. that'll teach them to mess with my birds.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If you saw two, they have cousins, uncles, aunts, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by