RATS in coop eating food.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mo puff, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mo puff

mo puff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    okkkkk, so our coop is very sealed to predetors but rats still manage to find a way to gain access in the run and interior coop. I keep their food in one of those reg. ol' aluminum feeder things.. i was finding huge amounts of feces in the interior load part and in the tray. I am also , of course loosing a lot of feed. SO, i took it out of the coop and put it into the run area.. but now, i have to go out and physically take the cover off/on the food every day. Not a HARD thing to do,,, BUT definetly a P.I.T.A. [if ya know what i mean!]

Does any one know how to keep rats out of the daily food in the coop . Will a treadle feeder be triggered by a rat? Please advise.

2. Lane McCarty

Lane McCarty Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2013
    You could at traps, but that seems kind of obvious. So make sure your fencing is deep in the ground and that they rats can't craw through the fencing. Rat poisoning would help too. Good luck. (Sorry if this doesn't help)

3. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    I did put a chunk of poison in the hopper, where the chickens couldnt get it... the rats took the entire chunk! I havent seen any dead ones anywhere? Since i have started covering and uncovering the food, i havent seen evidence of them BUT it is not a good solution because of the inconvenience twice a day. I wonder if there is a feeder that is rat proof?

1 person likes this.
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Rats of any size wll probably be able to trip a treadle feeder. They are smart. Since they ate poison, you might consider bromadiolone (one brand is JustOneBite.) Warfarin based rat poison can kill the chicken who eats a dead rat / mouse. Granted, poisoned mice usually seem to crawl away to die, but there's always that chance. I keep it secured inside a secure box with a hole big enough for a rat but that won't let a chicken eat it. About bromadiolone:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/57525/rats-rats-and-more-rats/20#post_606272

1 person likes this.
  5. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    I wish there was a better answer, too. My problem is mice in my coop. It is a pretty well contained coop too but they have figured out how to tunnel in and there isnt enough steel wool in the state to plug all of their holes now. The chickens and the cats just sit and look at them - they are so used to them now and I think have probably had their fill of them as well. I think my only hope is to repour the concrete floor and put metal up on the walls.

6. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    I have also wondered about the treddle type of feeder.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Rat poison will help a lot you wont see dead rats cause most will die underground in there holes and share the poison with other rats. It takes a few days for the poison to work.

8. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    So really, No matter what... they will find the way in! I WILL defeat them!!!! somehow, i ll let cha know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by