Rats in Coop!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewToFarming, Nov 15, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    So, I was re-arranging the coop yesterday and I have a Dog House in the coop. I had moved it and was surprised to see a Momma Rat & babies staring back at me. Of couse I wasn’t prepared for any of this and only managed to grab 2 of the babies and get them out of the coop. They were more like teenagers and still moved pretty quickly burrowing in the 6-8 inches of pine shavings. The mom was long gone. I have been reading up on things to try to get rid of them but would like to know what has worked well for others.
    I do have cats that do catch mice & rats (they thought to come bring it to me, yuck) but since these are living in the coop, they can’t get to them. Heck, they have everything they need right there, food, water, warmth! [​IMG]
    I do have to tell you we converted a stall in the barn into a coop. It has a cement floor. I am sure there must be a place the Mom is getting in and out but I want to keep them out. I have chicks that will soon be ready for the coop and do not want to put them in until they are out of course. I will have to look for spaces the rats are getting in through to the coop area.
    Do those electronic repellent things work? That would be the ideal solution but I really have my doubts they really work. (A friend swears they do)
    Poison is not an option because of the chickens free ranging and of course the barn cats. If I can locate these little buggers again, and get them out, does the Cayenne pepper work? I would have to get them out first because if I sprinkle it around, it would keep them in, I am sure. Do the chickens go after the cayenne pepper and will it harm them in any way if they eat it? Also, the buckets with the hole big enough for the rats to get into is another great idea, because the chickens can’t get to the poison inside either. Do you think I can keep these in the coop to attract the rats that are in the coop without any harm to the chickens? Gosh, I just don’t want to have a chicken accidentally get into something and that is why the poison scares me.
    Any other ideas????
    I also forgot to ask if the brillo pads will hurt the chickens? I had people had used these to keep rats out but would they hurt a chickens if they pecked at them?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    yikes! sorry i don't have an answer for you, but i'll be anxiously awaiting others! I have tried the bucket traps with water inside, buckets with poison bait. i've put poison down into their holes, and stuffed holes with brillo. nothing... [​IMG] i set the rat snap traps in the garage and they're eating the bait, and tripping the trap, but getting away!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    oh! and i've got "just one bite" poison in the center of pvc pipes along the outside of the house...rat activity has not changed one bit, and no dead rats

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Oh my!!!!! I was really hoping the buckets with the bait would be the answer! It sure sounds loke you have some very intelligent rats where you are!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    seriously, makes me think all my neighbors must be battling the same problem, and the rats have become immune or too smart...
    so, don't let me discourage you too much, lol. Maybe you have some dumb rats, i hope! [​IMG]

6. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    I think I won! [​IMG] I have not seen or heard any Rat activity in a couple days. Never did catch any in snap traps, they would eat the bate, and trip it without getting caught! but for a couple of days now, nothing has even touched them. No bait eaten or anything.

I had only had the snap traps in the garage, so the ducks couldn't access them. I had tried D con first down in the holes, and then stuffed the holes with steel wool as people had suggested. no luck for mor than a week. So as everyone suggested on here, I ordered the Just One Bite. i put pieces of that down the holes and the steel wool, (covered with bricks so the duckies couldn't access) and put some in the center of a pvc pipe and set it along the bottom of the house outside. same activity for the first couple days and then Nothing, no more signs of the little stinkers! [​IMG] I hope this can help someone else! good luck!

7. imusa76

imusa76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I used to set my Live trap, I caught one, in the summer, I was dealing with a Family of smart Rats, they would tunnel all over to find my weak points to get into the coop/run.
    I have used bait, in a contaner, they ate some, I found large Rat holes in the Yard, I Foged them with Bug Fogger.
    Now I have my Live trap setup for 6 days with Peanut Butter in it and nothing, its still there, also the snap traps still have bait, I wonder, If I'm one step ahead, or at least I hope I'm one step ahead., we'll see how it goes.

8. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

The electronic things do work. That's what they put in airplane hangers for small aircraft to keep the rats from chewing on lines in their engines, etc.

9. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Glad you got rid of them. Is your doghouse sitting on the ground? If so, I would elevate it a couple of feet and put a ramp for them to go in and out. This will help discourage future rats from moving in. Rats like to be protected under things so its best to keep the coop off of the ground.

10. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    PS I also remove my feeders at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by