We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Rats living the dream

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lucozade, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lucozade

Lucozade Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Greetings fellow chicken heads!

A quick question if I may, nothing unusual but seeking advice for a speedy solution.

We have an infestation formed under our wooden decking in the garden, as you can imagine they are rapidly expanding and it's getting out of hand.

We are in the UK, have taken a quote regarding extermination of the nest however the firm are unable to guarantee the garden will be 'rat proof.' (Which is understandable.)

Therefore leads me to believe some DIY is in order.

Does anyone know of SOMETHING which can be tossed under the decking to perhaps kill the pesky critters?

They've got access to food, water and shelter and are running riot now can they be stopped?

CCUK likes this.
  2. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    CCUK, Lucozade and Sequel like this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Rats are not nice to have out there, and need to be eliminated soonest. Traps won't get them all, ever, it takes poisoned bait.
    It's important to have the bait in 'bait stations' so that only rodents can access the stuff, and not drag it out of the station. Most rodents will return to their burrows to die, which may work well, or require you to remove bodies under your deck (if they smell!).
    Usually you find very few bodies above ground, and they must go in the garbage so no other critter eats them.
    It's all yucky!
    You may need to use one bait for a while, and then switch to a different one to finish eliminating them.
    Eliminate any other animal feed out there!
    Mary

slejdad, CCUK, Lucozade and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucozade

Lucozade Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Cheers for this Zark my only concern is that the unwanted visitors have access to the finest pellets and tend to ignore whatever traps/poison is placed down.

The blocks look good and would need to be placed under the decking free from other innocent animals, you can also see whether 'Roland' and his friends have indulged :)

5. Lucozade

Lucozade Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Hi Mary

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this - All you have stated makes sense.

All I would say is the poison in the bait stations (I have one out there already) gets avoided due to the constant access of an array of foods across the floor of the garden.

Seems getting on-top of removing the food supply is he only way!

Thanks again

Luke

biophiliac likes this.
  6. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    You need to remove any other source of food. I have mine in plastic bins that the lid locks down on. Rats could chew through these but I don't have them so far as I know! You may need steel ones to prevent this. The bait stations work so long as they are placed on the 'rat runs' so they pass through them. The blocks will work as does the dressed corn. If you can see where they are coming from then you could dig the hole up then back fill it with quick-crete. But watch out for rats running out, you could also use a terrier!

biophiliac and Lucozade like this.
  7. Lucozade

Lucozade Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Many thanks for this, we can't can't a terrier as we have a cat!

The plastic bins you use are to store the food at night i'm assuming and then only place out the amount required?

The holes will be under the decking I believe but good idea.

Thank you :)

CCUK likes this.
  8. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I use the bins for storage. I have hanging feeders in the run. They seem to create less spillage than the ones you put on the floor. You may need to remove the feeders at night so the rats can't get any feed. DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0134.JPG

biophiliac likes this.
  9. Lucozade

Lucozade Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Hello again
    I get the concept and assume it's the same with the water..

Nice selection of birds you've got there ;-)

CCUK likes this.
  10. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Yes. Remove everything that the rats can get to and clean up any spillages. Obviously you need to leave them out in the day for the hens! So remove them in the evening and only leave the bait stations with the bait blocks or seed. You can also get large snap traps that can kill rats but I had one for mice and it got its tail caught and ran off with the trap attached to it! It took me a while to find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: