Rats. Lots of rats.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by billmac, Jan 12, 2010.

  1. billmac

    billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 10, 2009
    I think the reason my chickens are going through so much food is because rats are eating a lot of it. I set out spring traps and usually catch 10 or so, before they get wise. Then I have to wait a few weeks until they get dumb again.

    I am hesitant to poison them. Should I be? Besides the chickens, I have a guard dog, lots of pet dogs and cats, a pig, goats, sheep, and rabbits. Obviously I can prevent the animals from getting at the poison itself, but what about the dead rats?

    What is a death bucket? When I had squirrels in my basement, I filled a 5 gallon bucket half full of water and poured in a layer of sunflower seeds. The squirrels jumped in the water and drowned. Difficult to do that with as cold as it is.
  2. PhilErvin

    PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
  3. geebs

    geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

    Sep 28, 2008
    Peppermint oil... the real deal...lots of it... They are allergic
  4. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    PVC bait tubes with "Just One Bite" slathered in peanut butter. Gets them every time.
  5. PhilErvin

    PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have used the poison bait that comes from the feed store that is the size of a small brick that can be broken off in pieces the size of a hotdog. I have taken a 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole at ground level for the rats to enter. The critical thing to do is tie the brick of poison to a brick to prevent the rats from taking the poison out of the bucket. Makes them eat it there and prevents other animals from eating it. Be sure to fasten the lid securly and place the bucket in an area up against a building. Rats rarely wander out into the open and will usually stick close to structures. I have used this for years and I know it is working because I occasionaly take the lid off and find that they have eaten all the bait so I relpace it. I have never found a dead rat because I hear that they go off and hide to die.
    Good luck [​IMG]
  6. patman75

    patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:That would be a Death Bucket, you might need a bucket that holds more than 5 gallons for rats.

    Here is what you use for smaller rodents

    Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 or 2/3 full of water.

    Put a piece of wood like a 2X4 across the top/opening and along the sides as ramps.

    Put of heavy layer of sunflower seeds in the water, the seeds will float and it will look like a bucket of sunflower seeds.

    The mice, chimpmunk, rat, etc will jump in the bucket to get the sunflowers and then drown because they will not be able to get out.

    Just make sure there is a good gap between the top and the water level so they dont get out. You can use a bigger bucket if you like.
  7. cobrien

    cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Yes, be hesitant to poison them. I am a former vet tech and seen hundreds of poisoned dogs and cats, some of whom ate dead mice or rats that were poisoned and some who ate the poisoned bait. It is a terrible way to die, bleeding slowly internally. I would try the other methods listed, and maybe try to secure the food better and/or take it completely out of the coop/lock it up at night.

    Good luck!
  8. CheerfulHeart2

    CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

    Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by