rats & my homemade box of death

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AnnesChicks, Mar 26, 2009.

1. AnnesChicks

AnnesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I wanted to share a home made poison bait station for rodents. I've used this outside under my bird feeder and in my garage behind my bins full of dog food and bird seed for years. Previously I had trouble with rats visiting my bird feeders and then moving into my garage.

Now that I have chickens as a preventative measure I am placing one behind the coop, outside the run but along the wooden fence.

Go to the dollar store, buy a plastic shoe box with a lid.

At one end cut/drill a rat size exit & entrance holes. (the drill bit for door knob holes works perfect) You want two holes, they seem to think they are safer if they can see an exit.

In the bottom place a piece of cardboard with the end bent up to contain the bait in the other end. Pour the pellets in.

Snap the lid on and run a piece of duct tape completely around each end. Place the bait box along suspected rat routes, end with holes closest to wall/fence. Place heavy object on top. a chunk of firewood a big rock whatever.

These last a long time, ae weatherproof and with the weight on top my dogs have never bothered them. Because they are translucent you can see if the bait needs to be replaced. The best part is the cost!

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    This is an excellent idea, provided they are long enough the chickens can't get their heads in and stretch to the poison. I'll have to remember this in the future. I just saw a mouse drop into our window well last night... getting to be that time of year. Maybe they'll all freeze in the blizzard tonight!

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mu neighbor had a small wooden box like you describe outside his run and I wondered what it was, now I know. I recently discovered i think I have a rat under my coop, I will give this a try. I was nervous as to letting out bait because of my dog.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Say, that's a great idea. Very simple and sensible (and cheap [​IMG] too!).

Thanks and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by