Rats mysteriously dying

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BaGAWK!!, Dec 11, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I've been setting a small live trap to trap whatever has been digging holes in the dirt in the small space between the food bin and the enclosed part of my coop...the other end of the hole looks to be in the run. Anyway I caught 2 rats at separate times the last 3 nights! Catching them with cat food kibbles. Left the first one in the trap all day while I was at work and it was dead when I got home! The 2nd one was dead in the trap when I went out there today!

What the....???

Now, my dogs terrorize the poor things when they're in the trap. Don't know if they could be dying of heart attacks? Just curious, dead is most likey where they would have ended up anyway.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Dont know, but curious to see what others think. Is there ANY chance they got ahold of poison somewhere?

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

They probably died from the stress of being trapped and the dogs terrorizing them. I have heard that people using the squirrelinator live trap often find them dead from the stress as well.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree...

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I agree, they are dying from the extreme stress and fear they experience in the trap. If left in the trap a long time, they can also die from heat/cold exposure and dehydration.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Stress kills - animals of all species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by