Rats, rats, and more rats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GothChick, Nov 9, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So I used to seriously breed fancy rats but after we moved to a new apartment I had to get rid of my breeding stock because my new landlord wouldn't allow rodents. Well we bought our own home in June this year so I decided to start back up my breeding program. The first few months NONE of the rats were breeding for some reason. Well now ALL of my rats had litters at the same time. LOL! Figures. So we currently have 18 adorable ratty babies running around. I plan to keep the ones I feel will be beneficial to my breeders and sell the rest. I specialize in breeding dumbo ears and rex coats but I have also started breeding complete selfs. Most of the self rats I find have white patches and I want to prevent that. Any other rat breeders out there?

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    *sigh* I wish I had time to get another pair of rats. I miss my old gals. Pics?

3. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have some pics of my previous litters. These new ones aren't the best because all of the new breeding stock is from other sources so I haven't been able to breed out the bad qualities. But below are litters from my original stock.

This is a male agouti berkshire chinchilla with blaze, dumbo, rex

[​IMG]

That's the only picture I have on my photobucket but I have a bunch of pictures on my old myspace for my rattery. It's www.myspace.com/blackroserattery

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I dont have any pics up but this year I started breeding dumbos in hairless and standard fur in mink, american blue, seal point siamese, and im going to start AB point siamese after December.

5. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    That really is cool! [​IMG]
    I really had no idea rats came like that.
    I am just used to the standard ones, fancy and dumbo, you see in a petshop. [​IMG]

Since rats breed so quickly do you also sell them as feeders? I can't imagine that big of a waiting list for pet rats.

6. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Cute rat. We have 2 rats, one is a dumbo,hairless(double rex I thin),red eyed and hymilain male and a black berkshire female.

7. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Well my rats are housed in a male cage and a female cage and I only let them together when I am breeding a pair. But..... I do sell some as feeders but not many. I have a ball python so all of my culled rats go to my own snake. Most of the rats go to pet homes but the ones that have problems whether is mental or physical they become feeders.

I don't keep any rats just because of their looks. Like I currently have a GORGEOUS blue dumbo rex female I got from a friend. She is so pretty but has become the meanest rat I have ever seen. She actually attacks anything she can. Most rats run away and only bite if you reach for them but she will charge at you and bite on and not let go. She's so mean I'm afraid to risk even putting her with my snake because she might hurt him. I don't want her personality going to her babies. She had a litter recently and as soon as the babies were born I took them and put them with a better mommy rat.

There is a pretty big demand for rats around here. The pet stores charge $18-$25 dollars for "fancy" rats around here. So I charge a lot less and mine are better quality.

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Aww, I love rats! My youngest daughter had rats for years. No breeders, tho, but they were great pets!

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I've heard rats are great pets and are really smart. Are they friendly?

10. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I actually get several people interested in pet dumbos since breeders are extremely rare in NM. Rats are extremely smart & friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by