RAts RATS RATS!!!! HElp Me with better kill plans!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bkreugar, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    SO Have had the chickens for 4 years now. Last year I had a smallish problem when I was intergrating the half growns into the coop. THOUGHT it was a weasil. Put out live trap. Caught about 4 rats. I put poisen down all the holes I could find near coop and then covered with rats. Then by the winter, it stopped and all my guys were fine.

This year in the spring I intergrated some half growns and I don't remember losing ANY. Now I had 15 to intergrate, but each time I put a few in the coop, I find one or 2 DEAD on bottom of coop, with head or pieces missing. SO again I put live trap down with different baits NOO luck. I keep the food in a sealed metal trash can In the house. So it isn't the food attracting them. early this week my husband put down hardware clothe down under the coop. They haven't burrowed out of it. I stripped the coop no holes in bottom, He put Hardware cloth behind the doors so when they close (I also put bricks against the doors) there is no room for them to squeeze in.

Last week (before he put the hardware clothe down) I was collecting the larger bantams that are ALMOST grown. It was about dusk. I had a half grown sultan I was cornering to bring INSIDE. RAT came out from under a wood pile about 2 ft away and GRABBED the half grown!! I lift wood (she is screaming) and got chick back, but her neck was broke. I had to finish her. SO then my Dh started going nuts with the hardware cloth and live trap. But no luck. SO I thought maybe they are gone. I put 5 half half grown bantams in the coop ON the roost pole. They won't stay on pole they keep jumping down. Finally I give up and close up coop.

Next morning !3! of the 5 half growns were dead! 2 had head missing, one had back of head missing. SO at this point I am like forget it I give up! Tell dh I am thinking of just giving it up. He says no I'll just build you another coop, that will offer better predator proof.

Okay fine but I have now 9 half growns left , and they are getting too big and stinky to bring them in at night. PLUS Between putting them in cage outside in a.m. and dealing with other chickens it puts several extra steps into my morning, My goal is ALWAYS to have new chickens IN coop by time kids go back to school. I have a month to solve this problem. I am at a loss. I KNOW my predator is rats. I don;t know how the heck they are getting in. They ONLY get the chickens on bottom of coop. Any on roost poles are FINE.

SO the only other thing I have come up with is the corn meal plaster of paris thing, but I don't know the recipe. If anyone has the recipe PLEASE post it. If anyone has ANY ideas I haven't covered please let me know. I am at a loss! TIA

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I tried several versions of the plaster of paris "poison" and none of them worked. I got locking bait stations and used Just One Bite.....after months of battling those sticking rats within a week I saw basically no rat activity. I now keep the baited stations out all the time and don't ever see any rats or their tell tale signs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Do you or your neighbors have bird feeders or outside dog food? That's one systemic source. You also mentioned woodpiles. Move them far away from chicken area. Also any other clutter they can nest in. Switch poison. They get immuned to one kind quickly. Look at the active ingredients. There are 3 main kinds avail to consumers at your farm store. Aternate active ingredients to prevent immunity. I like the Tomcat or Hawk brand "wax" type baits. They are waterproof. Haven't had to switch yet to control my mice.

#0 or 1 longspring type traps baited with peanut butter are effective as are Victor Rat traps (old fashioned mousetrap on steroids). Another good one is square cat litter pail filled with 4" antifreeze sunken to ground level in your dirt floor IF you don't have cats or dogs about. Another more hands-on approach is to get yourself a high powered pellet rifle. Set some wood blocks for a safe backstop and start baiting with some scratch grain. After rats begin feeding on your pile, go on lookout with the pile dimly lit. You can figure out the rest. Makes for some satisfying target practice for a good cause.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Ole and Lena Thank you we are using the HAWK brand right now and I only have ONE left so I will switch thank you for that tip. Yea I just realized the wood near the coop was BAD. Thank you.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    This may sound silly but try putting moth balls all around the coop. So many that when they get near the coop they can't help but smell them. Just make sure your chickens can't get them.

6. Robertbrown

Robertbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Cheap home made trap that is very effective. You may also need a 22 rifle or pistol. Use long rifle rounds with #12 shot, oftem referd to as rat shot or snake shot.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/164327-inexpensive-mouse-trap.html

Someone has given the rodents a consatnt food supply and suddenly deleted it. You or your neighbor may have killed some snakes lately. That willl also make the population explode.
    you are going to have to get proactive about this for a few days, kill the breeding females and then things will settle down for a while.

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    What a horror story. I'm so sorry. Have you spoken with a professional exterminator? A few generations ago you'd call the "ratter" and he'd come with his rat-terrier and the dog would go to town sniffing out and destroying the rats. A single good terrier could support his owner in rat extermination fees. I wonder if folks still do that? I bet the instinct is still super strong if you have acquaintances with terriers, but guard your chickens well if the dogs are around because the prey drive in those little dogs wouldn't stop with rats. (and no poison until the dogs have done everything they can)

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:My rat terrier could care less about rats, but she loves to kill chickens!

9. Robertbrown

Robertbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Quote:My rat terrier could care less about rats, but she loves to kill chickens!

My dogs don't discriminate, if it moves they will kill it [​IMG] .

10. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Like others., we tried every suggestion we read on BYC...........
    Was afraid to use one bite.
    When we finally did.it worked immedately
    We hit them hard.put lots out all at once.
    My husband wired the one bites to the inside of a plastic milk crate.
    then turned it upside down and put a heavy metal thing on top
    to hold it down.I don't know how they got into it
    but all the food was gone the next morning.
    We kept doing that until the one bite was not touched.
    It will not harn the chickens if they sould happen to eat a dead rat.
    Good Luck....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by