Rats!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by billymcdonaldnp, Jan 24, 2016.

1. billymcdonaldnp

billymcdonaldnp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    My run is 15 x 15 feet and the wire goes down into the dirt, but the rats keep tunneling under. I keep trapping them and they keep coming. I'm thinking about putting pavers over the entire floor, or putting wire over the entire floor. How are other people dealing with rats?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

When I have rats, I put out poison. I use the bait stations where no other animals can get to the bait. I've never had a problem with my birds or dogs or cats eating a dead rat or mouse that had been baited. I actually accidentally dumped a rat carcass that was in a pile of loose hay into the main coop this last weekend. Went back a few hours later and the hens had uncovered it but they weren't going to touch it for anything....they were sure talking about it, though!

3. billymcdonaldnp

Dec 3, 2015
    How far below ground do you bury coop wire?

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I'm having the same problem. I have been picking up the chicken feeders every night. But they still keep tunneling into my coop. I have bait and traps out, but they won't touch the bait. My plan is to crush up the bait and mix it with peanut butter and spread it on crackers. Then I will drop it in their hole I also bought a Rat Zapper. So far have only caught a mouse.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. billymcdonaldnp

Dec 3, 2015
    Thanks H Holly. Same problem here. My latest is, I got PVC drain pipe, cut it up in 2+ foot lengths, put my traps (plus sticky traps) inside the tubes so the chickens don't get hammered as they are so curious. So now each wall of the coop has a tube secured by bricks. I'll post if it works. But at least I'm not going out at 6 am every night to pick up the traps for chicken safety. Caught one rat and 3 mice in my electric zapper, but I know there are more. So irritating!!

6. billymcdonaldnp

Dec 3, 2015
    I made the mistake of folding and burrying it a foot (but not down) and putting bricks on top. How far down should I go for rats?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by