1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rats!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mossyroo, May 3, 2016.

1. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    We moved our chicks (1 week old) inside on Sunday. 2 had just disappeared. We suspect rats as the culprits. Found 1 dead in brooder this morning so down to 13 from original 16. How old do you think they would need to be before they are reasonably safe from rats?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens

Why not trap the rats -- and protect your chickens?

There are a lot of ingenious homemade rat traps you can find how to make on the internet, in addition to the classic victor traps:

3. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    It depends on how big the rats are. We lost 6 week old chicks to rats last year. I ended up locking the chicks in a dog crate at night until we could move them to the rat proof coop. The secret to that is hardware cloth even on the floor under the sand.

I also bought a case of rat traps from Amazon. Rats are smart and hard to trap is what I learned. I hated to do it but I resorted to poison and that solved the problem.

Best of luck to you. I hope to never have a rat problem again so appreciate your pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by