Rats. >:(

GrannyHeeney

Songster
Apr 18, 2018
Upstate SC
Something was chewing in my wall about an hour ago so I bolted to BYC for advice...of course! :D Thank you to all who posted advice on other threads. :love I think I'll start with the "One Bite" stuff, some snap traps and just see how it goes. I have a couple young ones inside and am terrified for them, as everyone says rats kill chicks. :( Not sure how to keep them safe, as the gnawing was inside the wall...they can get anywhere... Man, there's always something else... *sigh* My poor chickies... Gonna backhand some rats.

The enclosed traps are safe around animals and children. The only problem I've had with baiting is you can't predict where they meet their demise. Had a couple stink up a wall and had to cut it open. Also if they perish in the coop there's a chance of your chickens eating them and becoming affected.
Screenshot_20180821-091350.png

I have used similar with good results. It also will catch more than one at a time.

Something was chewing in my wall about an hour ago so I bolted to BYC for advice...of course! :D Thank you to all who posted advice on other threads. :love I think I'll start with the "One Bite" stuff, some snap traps and just see how it goes. I have a couple young ones inside and am terrified for them, as everyone says rats kill chicks. :( Not sure how to keep them safe, as the gnawing was inside the wall...they can get anywhere... Man, there's always something else... *sigh* My poor chickies... Gonna backhand some rats.
You need to locate the entrance points and cover with 1/2" hardware cloth.

You need to locate the entrance points and cover with 1/2" hardware cloth.
So far, only the chewing noises in my wall (in the kitchen, hmmm LOL), but I ain't waiting til I find a headless or footless hen. No signs in the coop but I'm thinking I'd be a fool to assume the rats haven't already been smurfing any crumble the hens leave on the ground overnight. I only feed what they can eat in about 20 minutes, so the leavings overnight are barely more than dust. Thinking I have no bad habits to break...kudos again to BYC--everything I know about keeping, I learned here! :D

The enclosed traps are safe around animals and children. The only problem I've had with baiting is you can't predict where they meet their demise. Had a couple stink up a wall and had to cut it open. Also if they perish in the coop there's a chance of your chickens eating them and becoming affected.
View attachment 1511574
I have used similar with good results. It also will catch more than one at a time.

And only 15 bucks, won't Gramps be happy! :D Thank you, this is definitely going into my arsenal this weekend!

So far, only the chewing noises in my wall (in the kitchen, hmmm LOL), but I ain't waiting til I find a headless or footless hen. No signs in the coop but I'm thinking I'd be a fool to assume the rats haven't already been smurfing any crumble the hens leave on the ground overnight. I only feed what they can eat in about 20 minutes, so the leavings overnight are barely more than dust. Thinking I have no bad habits to break...kudos again to BYC--everything I know about keeping, I learned here! :D
You raise your chickens in your kitchen?

You raise your chickens in your kitchen?

ROFL No, I was doing dishes and heard chewing sounds in the wall less than 3 feet away from me. I have a see-thru tub on a table in the living room with a Brahma teen and a OEB cockerel in it. Outside, the 3 ladies have a made-over dog run with a commercially-made coop sitting in the center for overnight, lockable predator security. Lost half my flock at the beginning of the year to a skunk, so we're good out there now. I'd have thought the kids were safe IN MY HOUSE (!), now I'm going to have fits til they're big enough to go outside with the Egg Crew! :eek:

Rats belong with cats. Welcome some cats to your home if possible. They really bring down the rodent population but have never killed one of my birds, be they turkey, fowl or duck. Chicks may be at risk, though they have never been killed better to keep them safely in the brooder until they are old enough to go outside. Cats are also afraid of broody hens, which seems fair. :lol: Strangely, though cats do not eat chickens, ducks or turkeys, a lot of wild birds are strewn about. Strange how they know the difference between a young d'Anvers chicken and a starling, sparrow, robin, cowbird, or sparrow.
Pick a reputable mouser cat from a farm. It's okay if they are spayed or not, the males have to be neutered to keep around. Unfortunately you have to pay for vaccinations, and can't keep rat poison around at the same time as cats. Ours are front declawed, because they are indoor/outdoor cats, and it works fine. If cats don't work it's fine though.

My bestie across the way busted a stray cat carrying off her Phoenix teens =( We'd all originally welcomed him and had been leaving food for him on our porches; she lost 7 before the cat was busted doing it. The one pullet she managed to get away from him died several hours later. :hit It'd be a hard sell--even my hubby is still mad about all that and feels somehow betrayed! :-o We have spotted some large black snakes around the coops recently and scrambled to make sure all our eggs would be secure (I have 1 coop, my bestie has FOUR! :D ). Her hubby is saying to not kill them, that they should be able to keep small, furry predators to a minimum, but...ugh...snakes! ::shudder::

Back
Top Bottom