Rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Major Buff Orpington, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Major Buff Orpington

Major Buff Orpington Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Anyone recommend a good type of rat trap? 'They critters are gittin smart round here and takin the bait and not settin off the trap!!!

2. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I had severe rat infestation and an old time poultry man suggested this. Get rat bait bars. Use a 3" diameter by 2' long piece of PVC pipe. Drill a hole in the center of the pipe. Pass a wire thru the hole and attach bait bar to wire. Pull wire out so bar is secured in pipe where no none target animal can get it and place bait station (pipe) where the problem is. I keep one out at all times and have never had a rodent problem since. I used 4 initially to eliminate my problem. They can be placed under coop, in the pen or outside along the building. Good luck. Check daily and rebait as needed. Remove any dead rodents you find.

3. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Here is my post from another thread on what did and didn't work for me. also, the bucket traps did not catch anything for me..

<<<<<I think I won! I have not seen or heard any Rat activity in a couple days. Never did catch any in snap traps, they would eat the bate, and trip it without getting caught! but for a couple of days now, nothing has even touched them. No bait eaten or anything.

I had only had the snap traps in the garage, so the ducks couldn't access them. I had tried D con first down in the holes, and then stuffed the holes with steel wool as people had suggested. no luck for mor than a week. So as everyone suggested on here, I ordered the Just One Bite. i put pieces of that down the holes and the steel wool, (covered with bricks so the duckies couldn't access) and put some in the center of a pvc pipe and set it along the bottom of the house outside. same activity for the first couple days and then Nothing, no more signs of the little stinkers! I hope this can help someone else! good luck!>>>>>

4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    We've used rat bait in our basement, attic, & garage with great success. It will probably work for your coop & run problems great, just make sure you don't have any pets like dogs or larger cats who might like to hunt the sick rodents you'll get or play with the dead ones they find. It could harm them too. I had a cat who once died of this after eating mouse at the neighbor's house. Be careful...

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Does anyone have suggestions for cat safe "poisons"?

Mom lost a cat to the neighbors baiting rats.

The elderly lady across the street had Alzheimers, for awhile before it got too bad, her kids would bring her roasted chickens to eat. Only she would put the chickens out in the hedge to let them free range....... We had a SERIOUS neighborhood rat problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by