Rats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickGirl4Life, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

How bad of a threat are rats? Would a young but in the coop chicken kill one? Would a chicken as large as a Cochin kill one?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    we had a rat stealing the eggs right out of the nest box and hiding them under the coop. i've heard they can kill chicks and maybe even adults. get rid of them asap. good luck

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    BTW [​IMG]

4. The Funky Chicken Dunce

The Funky Chicken Dunce Out Of The Brooder

I have never had a rat steal or hurt a chicken, though I may have lost some eggs to them. We have a cat out there now who likes to hang around the chickens now though and so far she has killed three rats! ^_^ That may be an end to at least some of the disappearing eggs [​IMG]

5. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    [​IMG] barn cats rule they will take care of your rat issue [​IMG]

6. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

I have another question. Will a groundhog hurt them?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

8. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    Groundhogs are vegitarians. They eat plants, fruits and veggies

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Bad. They will steal a lot of chicken feed and make lots more rats with it. They may steal eggs. If you get enough hungry rats they will start killing chickens. Chickens will generally not catch and eat full grown rats and the rats learn to come out at night to avoid chasing and pecking. At night the chickens are vulnerable and will just sit there while the rats attack. I had them kill a dozen chicks in a pen. The chicks huddled up in a corner and the rats just pulled body parts through the bars and gnawed them off. I also lost a sebright hen to them and had a rooster with a toe chewed off. Nasty things. Now that we have rabbits we've lost kits out of the nest boxes too because of the rats and the remaining ones would start screaming if anything disturbed the box. We finally gave up on trapping them a few at a time and just poisoned the whole lot. I hate using poison but after a year of fighting with them using a variety of traps they were gone 2 weeks later and they don't come back so long as I refill monthly.

I've never had a cat that would hunt rats. I've had cats that would hunt moles (actually caught them nearly daily too), squirrels, and full size rabbits but I've never had one that would tangle with rats on more than the odd occasion of grabbing a young one.

10. Fuzzy Clucker

Fuzzy Clucker New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Fallbrook
    So I too have a rat problem now. As fun as it is to go out with my flashlight and bb gun and wait under the tree, it's just too time consuming. One of our 6 chickens finally decided to start laying on eggs, so my wife went and bought some fertilized eggs for her to lay on. She marked them so we'd know which are which while teaching the girls to lay in the next box over, but recently I noticed that we're losing marked eggs under her.

First question, how in the world does a rat even carry one away? I hear a lot of talk about taking eggs, but nobody has explained how they manage to do so. Our setup is your typical low buck farm style setup, so I know there's no way to keep these pests out. I take the chicken feeder inside at night now too. I'll check out the link posted earlier in this thread, but was wondering if anyone here has any solid tips that I can try. Is poison my best bet? Or does this just put my dog in harms way too much? She does roam around our property unsupervised often. I'd sure hate to lose Ginger if she got a dead rat before I did. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by