Rats!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by khatar, Jun 15, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    We recently found a rat nest right next to our chicken coop, we knew there were rats but we didn't know where they lived until now.

We set and caught 4 rats in traps and scared one off but are rats threats to chickens at all?

2. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I'm no expert but I have read in several of my chicken books that rats can eat chicks and eggs and might gnaw on a sleeping or setting chicken. I'm not sure if just a few rats will get that bold but I know they're braver than mice. I hope they don't bother your birds.

CYG

3. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Have you ever filled up a feed jar and found a rat lol?
    Just kick him toward the dog.
    Keep your bags sealed or turned over,,,try not to make a mess when getting feed.

4. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have found poop near the chickens feed, and they have eaten some eggs near the bush, nothing serious.

5. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Either a rat or a racoon came during the night and bit off some of my poor chickens' toes! So yes, they are a threat. Get rid of them as fast as possible!

Becca

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Put your feed in metal trach cans to help reduce thir food and cause them to move on

Like I just suggested to another person:

Be cautious of the poison or traps because a chicken will peck and eat a dead anything! How about using a open top barrel about half full of water, drill 2 holes opposite each othe in the rim, stretch a piece of coat hanger wire across the top of the opening using the holes to secure it, hang a tasty bait in the middle of the wire, and lay a couple ramps from the ground to the rim for easy rat access. The rats will climb the ramp and try to reach the bait, fall into the barrel and drown.

low maintenance, multi animal holding, non-poisonous, and no touching the rat carcasses. WIN WIN WIN

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I guess I could try, but can't rats swim?

8. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they can, but I would guess the point is eventually when they can't get out they'll succumb to exhaustion and drown. A rat isn't smart enough to tread water and wait for rescue like a human would, most mammals panic if they can't get out of the water which hastens the exhaustion and then drowning. Kind of a slow way to go, but as stated, at least you aren't risking a chicken getting into poison and a lot of people worry about their other animals or kids getting into a snap trap and getting hurt.

9. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I should work for this company since I've squawked about their product so much here! "Motomco Hawk", the bait not the bird of prey. Search it online and get it! I used it and eradicated my huge rat problem in one week and they've not been back. Very low chance of secondary poisoning, which means your birds would have to eat A LOT of dead rats to get sick. I put the bait where the rats could get it, but not the birds and the rats are GONE!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Yes, but not for an infinite period of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by