Rats!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewToFarming, Jun 30, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I think I have a rat problem!!! I converted one of the stalls in the barn as my coop. I had reinforced everything but not thinking that a rat could get in from the upstairs of the barn into the ceiling of the coop. So, I will be reinforcing that especially the area they might be getting in. Something had gotten a 1 month old chick and I only found the head. I am furious!!! The only thing I can think of that could get in would be rats.
    So, how can I get rid of these critters without harming the chickens? The chickens could get into a trap or poison. The chickens do have free run in the barn during the day and they do go upstairs too. Any ideas on ways to get rid of them without hurting the chickens???

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
  3. RoosterPecked

RoosterPecked Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    It could possibly be a weasel. I just had 2 of my beloved hens killed in the last 3 days (one of them just last night) and after much researching found it to be a weasel since I recently killed off the rat population in my small barn with poison. Weasels will eat rats and after the rats are gone they come after the chickens. My husband is bringing home a trap for me to catch the rodent in and it will be disposed of (ahem!) by my husband.

Another good source for you to call is your local County Extension Agency. They were very helpful to me on numerous occasions.

Good luck on whatever the culprit is.

RoosterPecked

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you!!!
    I am thinking a rat or weasel. This baby was with it's mom on the coop floor. It seems odd though only one of the chicks had been taken. The coop is the stall so it has those big oak planks about 5 ft high covered with wirwe both insid and out and then the open portion on the top is covreed with wire, except of course the ceiling. I am thinking it would have to be something small to get in there and be satified with just one chick. I don't think anything reached in to get it because Baby isn't able to fly that high and there is no perch on the side he was at or where his head was found.
    Everyone was OK this morning. I got all 8 broodies and 4 moms with chicks into cages and covered kitty litter pans up off of the coop floor and everyone was accounted for this morning thank goodness. I was a mess last night worrying about them because I can't reinforce until the weekend!!

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Edited to add...now 9 broodies!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by