Rats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalpro24, Jul 11, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    How many of you own rats? Any pictures? And where did you buy them?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Ok, ok, I don't directly own rats, but my older sister has three that came from a rat I rescued, and my former housemate has another three!

Long story, short version. Ball python doesn't eat fuzzy rat. Fuzzy rat is then given to me. I raised this tiny rat whose eyes were closed, she went to college classes with me! I asked my sister, who'd had rats before, if she wanted the rattie when she was weaned. Sister said of course, and asked me to get a buddy for the rattie since it would be a few weeks 'til we could meet up. Well, the buddy I got from a normal petstore turned out to be pregnant, arg! So two rats became NINE one week later! All the boys found great pet homes, my housemate became attached and kept three girls, while my sister got the original rescue, Mommy rat, and one baby.

Nearly all of my pictures are of Kyle's rats, Shrew, Panda, and Gecko Paw (don't ask [​IMG] ) since he and I lived together (we only just went our separate ways after several years). He adores them. He never knew that rats made such great pets. They are his constant companions, they rarely are ever locked in their cage (they have the run of his room and know to do their business in the cage). They don't chew on things and are always snuggling with him. They are so outgoing and friendly since they've been handled since birth (Mommy Ratty was cool with us handling her babies, and it made for exceptionally awesome rats). I definitely miss rattie snuggle time!

That is a video of them hoarding popcorn that I took [​IMG]

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Any more?

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i have had a rat named raven, and another named oreo. I was little when i had raven and i think i killed her [​IMG] (accidentally of course) And oreo died of old age..

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    We have 18. Well actually my DD does. She had 10 and one passed away from mammary cancer. Then DH buys a rat for his python but he wouldnt eat it so she got another but little did we know that she was pregnant, so 2 weeks later she has 9 babies. they are 2 weeks old. here is a pic at 3 days old
    [​IMG]

6. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    We have Two Boys, George and Thunder. Two girls Easter and Angel. And two Foster rats Serendipity and Providence. We got one, Easter, for easter for my DD. DS loved her so much DH took him to get one too, Thunder. One early saturday morning I hear the kids and get up, go out into the living room and, "Look at Easter and Thunder WRESTLING mama!" [​IMG]
    So then two became 15. And we could NOT find homes for them. I stumbled across an organization called Mainely Rat Rescue, and they took them in, and found them forever homes. I have been a foster home for them ever since. They are wonderful! That is where I would recommend getting a rat, is from a rat rescue. They have babies up to older adults, they even have neutered and spayed rats available.
    Easter & Angel With their Mom
    [​IMG]
    A few of the fosters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:I had to laugh at this. I got my first rat when I was young, maybe ten or eleven. A albino male, I named him Snowflake. He was the best rat ever. Then I got two more, females, named Nibbles and Spot. I decided to let them play and ended up with 29 babies between the two females, 32 rats all together. I have had rats ever since that time. Right now I have five, but I have had my eye on a dumbo male. I am really thinking of getting him, he is a blue hooded dumbo. I currently have two females, May, a black dumbo and BD (Blaze's Daughter) a black blaze (white blaze on her nose) and three males. Jimmy (albino), Harley (I guess I would call him Berkshire marked, cream colored) and Boy (brown agouti).

8. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Blue Dumbo! Me too, or a patterned rex....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by