....Rats...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalpro24, Jul 22, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I have a few questions..........

What do you keep your rats in?- fish tank or cage
    Where did you purchase your rat(s)?- Breeder or pet store
    How long have your rats lived?
    Which do you prefer?- male or female
    Do you have dogs and rats?-how do they do together

My biggest question now(i've done lots of research) is- what kind of cage do you have? Where did you get it? How much money was it? How many rat's do you have in it?

Thanks Again!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:The Breed (color pattern/shape) of a rat has little to do with personality-

There are:-
    ----Shapes---
    Rex (curly coat )
    Tailless (self explanitory)
    Dumbo (Difrent attachment place for ears)
    Dwarf (Self explanatory)
    Hairless (Self Explanatory)
    ----Colors/Patterns---
    PEW (Pink eyed white - often but not always albino)
    BEW (Black Eyed white - dark eyes with the white coat- more rare)
    hooded- (Self Explanatory)
    dalmatian- (The line I got dalmatians from was 'short lived' not sure this is 'normal' or just anecdotal)
    Self - Dark top light underneath, solid color
    Reverse Hooded- (Self Explanatory)
    Blue- (Self Explanatory, two colors American and Russian)
    Moon- A newer dilute of the American Blue genes, currently bred by Bellaratta in FL
    Himalayan/Siamese - like the cat

However Health Problems are associated with tailless (back problems) and Dwarf (heart failure and Failure to thrive) currently.

Some like Hairless need a little more caution due to not having any protective furs, some lines bleed more then others (see thin skin), or any Pink Eyed rat has a higher chance of going blind.

There are also lethal genes in those sets so please do not breed pet rats without a mentor, you may lose mommy and babies.

I -personally- know great breeders in FL for rats and if you can start with pet rat breeders (Bewear BYB (back-yard-breeders)) however I have also had horrible luck with breeder animals.

(( http://floridarat.com/phpbb3/index.php ))

Males are (usually) lazy and want to just cuddle and be held
    Females are (usually) very active and curious, easier to train tricks

I keep Males, clean cages reduce/eleminate smells unless you get really unlucky (buck grease).

I keep more then 2 square feet per rat, that is the minimum. I always keep same sex pairs. (they can spay/neuter rats I find it expensive)

I have ad rats die on me under a year from a breeder and Garfunkle the morbidly Obese rat lived 4.2 years- average is 3 years.

I have had both breeder rats and petstore rats and feeder rats. (I suggest breeders for beginners, feeders for experts that know what they are dealing with)

I have had rexes and dumbos in PEW, hooded, and self colors... I currently have a Hemi (Himalayan) his partner died a couple months ago and he's too old for new intros (nearly 3).

I have noticed to plain furred rats rexes always look like thy are being aggressive (fur ruffled is aggressive rex fur is ruffled always)- this makes it harder for a beginner -

I would never keep rats in a fish tank the amonnia build up would be bad, see Martin's Rat cages - I have a custom one from there.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

If you go to the Rat forum I posted you can get a good cage for cheap.

3. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:The Breed (color pattern/shape) of a rat has little to do with personality-

There are:-
    ----Shapes---
    Rex (curly coat )
    Tailless (self explanitory)
    Dumbo (Difrent attachment place for ears)
    Dwarf (Self explanatory)
    Hairless (Self Explanatory)
    ----Colors/Patterns---
    PEW (Pink eyed white - often but not always albino)
    BEW (Black Eyed white - dark eyes with the white coat- more rare)
    hooded- (Self Explanatory)
    dalmatian- (The line I got dalmatians from was 'short lived' not sure this is 'normal' or just anecdotal)
    Self - Dark top light underneath, solid color
    Reverse Hooded- (Self Explanatory)
    Blue- (Self Explanatory, two colors American and Russian)
    Moon- A newer dilute of the American Blue genes, currently bred by Bellaratta in FL
    Himalayan/Siamese - like the cat

However Health Problems are associated with tailless (back problems) and Dwarf (heart failure and Failure to thrive) currently.

Some like Hairless need a little more caution due to not having any protective furs, some lines bleed more then others (see thin skin), or any Pink Eyed rat has a higher chance of going blind.

There are also lethal genes in those sets so please do not breed pet rats without a mentor, you may lose mommy and babies.

I -personally- know great breeders in FL for rats and if you can start with pet rat breeders (Bewear BYB (back-yard-breeders)) however I have also had horrible luck with breeder animals.

(( http://floridarat.com/phpbb3/index.php ))

Males are (usually) lazy and want to just cuddle and be held
    Females are (usually) very active and curious, easier to train tricks

I keep Males, clean cages reduce/eleminate smells unless you get really unlucky (buck grease).

I keep more then 2 square feet per rat, that is the minimum. I always keep same sex pairs. (they can spay/neuter rats I find it expensive)

I have ad rats die on me under a year from a breeder and Garfunkle the morbidly Obese rat lived 4.2 years- average is 3 years.

I have had both breeder rats and petstore rats and feeder rats. (I suggest breeders for beginners, feeders for experts that know what they are dealing with)

I have had rexes and dumbos in PEW, hooded, and self colors... I currently have a Hemi (Himalayan) his partner died a couple months ago and he's too old for new intros (nearly 3).

I have noticed to plain furred rats rexes always look like thy are being aggressive (fur ruffled is aggressive rex fur is ruffled always)- this makes it harder for a beginner -

I would never keep rats in a fish tank the amonnia build up would be bad, see Martin's Rat cages - I have a custom one from there.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

If you go to the Rat forum I posted you can get a good cage for cheap.

Thanks for the information! We had a female rat that we got for free from a lady who was returning a rat to the petstore.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, FireTigeris. you do know your rats! [​IMG] I think rats make wonderful pets too.

5. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    b.hromada :

Wow, FireTigeris. you do know your rats! [​IMG] I think rats make wonderful pets too.

Yes you do! [​IMG] It's great!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by