rats!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Any clever ideas on how to get rid of rats? They have the free buffet of food in the quail coop, so baiting them into a trap just doesnt seem to work! I have 2 cats. One I feed in the feed room, so he basically lives out there just for this purpose. He has killed 2, but Ive got more than that! I cant put out poison - I tried that once and the rats carried the poison into my goat pen and dropped it! Good thing the goats didnt eat it! I also had my dog find and eat the poison once, so poison is probably not a good idea. I have set numerous traps and never catch a one. I have put mothballs all around the feed room to run them off too. I need some better ideas! Any help????

thanks!

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    You can mix cyannee pepper in with the bird feed or put bar bait in 32oz gatorade bottles so your critters can't get to it but the rats can

3. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Put 1/2 x 1/2 wire all around coop, Because of all my animals and living in the woods I must be vigilant about rats/mice so all my quail cages are 1/2 x 1/2 to prevent them from getting to the quail. I don't have any free ranging animals so I keep poison out almost constantly. [​IMG]

4. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Thanks! I will try the cayenne. Id be afraid still the rats could carry the poison out of the bottle and drop it someplace else as they have done before. I have too many free range critters (horses, chickens, guineas, goats, cats, dogs)

I have a huge coop/run for the quail. It would cost a fortune to put hardware cloth all the way around! lol I have hardware cloth buried around the perimeter and goes up 2 foot up the sides all the way around. The rest is welded wire with chicken wire over that. The rats are able to get in...

Does the cayenne keep the rats out of their food? but doesnt harm the birds?

5. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    The birds actually like it and it is said to reduce winter pause in laying however, the rats being small mammals, it burns their eyes and sinuses just being close to it. I'm not sure on the mixing ratio though, you will probably have to toy around with it. I was also told that sams club sells it in larger quanities fairly cheap. There is a thread about it somewhere in the chicken feeding section.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    An old farmer's trick, which would great for your feed room...5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with water and float corn in it...the rats go in but they won't come out. no poison, they just don't swim so well. The rat lovers/animal activist will completely be against this...but it's an idea.

7. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    lol bfancis, I had another one... Somebody said that you mix Peanutbutter and quickcrete half and half and roll it into little balls, put them on a little "platter" and leave the rats some water near by. That quickcrete will set up in their stomachs and they die. And I AM a rat lover just not the ones of the wild vermin veriety, I bred pet & feeder rats for 3 years.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

ritter I dont know as if I buy that, wouldn't the moisture in the peanut butter set up the quick crete?
    Also rats are actually really good swimmers, the only reason the bucket trick works is they eventually tire and drown. Some studies have shown lab rats can swim for days.

9. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:OK, you are correct they are really good swimmers. I just wasn't going into the graphic horror and suffering they would go through to drown. But, make the water deeper than they can stand on their back feet but not too deep so they can swim and get out of the top...THEY WILL DROWN. Some people just don't need the detail...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  10. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I think one should understand fully what they inflict on the animal, even if it is rats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by