Rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by plymouthrock, Aug 1, 2013.

1. plymouthrock

plymouthrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    My run is right next to my shed. Rats have nested under the shed and burrow under the run and have free access into the coop and help themselves to their food and water. I have tried rat poison (d-con) but they are still there. Any good recommendations to rid of the rats? The run is 6 x 6 x 6 foot, a walk in, not really moveable.

2. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Rat traps - TSC has a wide variety - try one of each. Also, we find that our barn cat does a great job on the rat population. He does not mess with our hens, although I would never let him around baby chicks, of course [he is a cat, after all]. He's killed at least two chipmunks and 3 or 4 rats, plus numerous mice. He's a treasure. :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If that's your coop/run in your avatar, it looks like your coop is a 6 x 6 x 6 walk in, but your run is about 6 wide x 8 long x 2 high.

Google bucket trap, worked great for me on mice, catches multiples without have to reset.
    Poison can kill other animals, including your chickens, that eat the poisoned rats or if they die under your coop it will stink to high heaven.

Do some research...here's a good way to search these forums, I'll do the first one for you:
    advanced search>title only> rat poison

4. plymouthrock

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    Art, that is my coop but not my run, that is the old Run. New one is 6 x 6 x 6. Thanks for the info!

5. plymouthrock

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    Art, that is my coop but not my run, that is the old Run. New one is 6 x 6 x 6. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by