Rats!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SuburbSpurs, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

So my eggs have been missing for a while, and after I swept my hen house and removed the litter I saw holes had been chewed through my wood floor! And there were eggs shells in the corner with the insides missing. I have a rat problem and earlier this week I found one of my hens dead in the house her neck had been chewed up. These jerks need to go, my brother and I have put down traps at night with peanut butter but they have gotten too smart. My cats haven't killed any either. What should I do? I can't use poison my girls might eat it!

2. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Most feed stores have a bait called tomcat it is a bait block for rats and mice it dries them up and won't hurt your chickens

3. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Sry I use it and it works well

1 person likes this.
  4. thejester

thejester New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Catskills, NY
    If you've only tried one type of trap, keep shopping! I've used a few types of traps over the years for mice, and the catch rate varies WIDELY from brand to brand, technique to technique.

Aside: I bought Tomcat's once thinking they were the best around. It took me months to figure out how to catch with them, and even then, results were frustrating. The best I've used were a lucky buy from a random dollar store using peanut butter as bait. I've never since had so many catches as I did with that first setup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by