RATTLE SOUND IN HEN - please advise!

Little Chickadee

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Hello chicken friends. This is Dottie. She started off with sneezing a few days back. Her sister Viola has some wheezing. Both are in a quarantine pen and regular coop has been completely sanitized and bedding replaced.

She is not lethargic, no discharge, eating a touch less than normal but that could be the stress of being away from the flock.

I started using Vet RX a few days ago but do not know what else I should do. I have added Oregano to her water as well.

We have a Tractor Supply near us and have Amazon prime so I can get medicine quick, just not sure what to get for this or if I should expect her to recover on her own.

I am, of course, worried about our other hens. We have a small, close knit flock of 7. We use pine bedding and their run has dried leaves in it. We live in Michigan so run is wrapped but there is plenty of ventilation. Our weather has been warmer than normal.

Here is her video:

Please advise! She is not gaping, no discharge..

Does she rattle when she's not being held?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
When was her last egg?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Does she rattle when she's not being held?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
When was her last egg?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

She rattles all the time but louder when held. Crop was empty when I checked yesterday morning but didnt check this morning as I overslept and husband fed them. She is eating okay.

Last known egg was Thursday but all if our hens have slowed down for winter, except our 2 pullets.

I will feel for fluid tomorrow. Didnt know about that. She is not walking like she is egg bound.

And her sister is wheezing which I can only hear when I put her mouth close.

I will check the other things you mentioned in the morning. It will be around 730/8 by the time I can get back to you.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sorry for the delay... and the upside down video!

She is not wheezing when asleep. I have a blanket over the end of the crate so can hear. But when Iift blanket the wheezing starts and increases when held.

Crop is empty.

I checked below vent area and it is squishy. Wasnt/not sure if it is fat or fluid. Compared to her sister and there is definately more. This area was also warmer than her sister's.

Sorry for the delay... and the upside down video!

She is not wheezing when asleep. I have a blanket over the end of the crate so can hear. But when Iift blanket the wheezing starts and increases when held.

Crop is empty.

I checked below vent area and it is squishy. Wasnt/not sure if it is fat or fluid. Compared to her sister and there is definately more. This area was also warmer than her sister's.
This is interesting.
Can you hear any wheezing when she's just moving around getting something to eat/drink or is it just specifically when lifting the blanket off the cage and/or being held?

Stress?

Sometimes hens can start to have a bit of fluid in the abdomen due to organ dysfunction and/or reproductive difficulties. If she's not in distress, then I'd monitor her for a few days to see if she improves on her own. If there's a lot of fluid or she's really struggling, then draining fluid may help temporarily.

This is interesting.
Can you hear any wheezing when she's just moving around getting something to eat/drink or is it just specifically when lifting the blanket off the cage and/or being held?

Stress?

Sometimes hens can start to have a bit of fluid in the abdomen due to organ dysfunction and/or reproductive difficulties. If she's not in distress, then I'd monitor her for a few days to see if she improves on her own. If there's a lot of fluid or she's really struggling, then draining fluid may help temporarily.

Before today the rattling was going during the day. When I posted, I was so deeply worried about it and wasnt sure if I was treating her correctly. Today she didnt rattle unless we held her. So that must be stress induced ( increased breathing and heart rate?). She has never been the snuggly type. Her sister likes being pet and occasional snuggles but Dottie is very independent.

I will continue to monitor her squishy spot and breathing. Today she ate and drank ALOT! I cooked her, and her sister, an oatmeal breakfast made with electrolytes and they were delighted!

Going to listen to her again in the morning and give her another exam. Hoping she continues improving as I know they miss the flock and Visa versa.

Thank you for helping and continuing to monitor with us. This is year 3 of chickens for us. We have learned alot but still so much more to learn.

Back
Top Bottom