1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rattle when breathing--suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tail_feather, Sep 28, 2011.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I have a 14 week old Blue Orpington pullet that has a loud rattle when she breathes and slinges her head occasionally and kind of sneezes. Otherwise, she is perfectly fine. She has done this since she was a chick. She is growing, eating her feed and all the treats. There is no discharge of any kind and the rest of the flock is just fine. What is it and what can I do to help her?? Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    It could be Gapeworm. Gapeworm eggs can be picked up anywhere (like all parasite eggs) from drinking form puddles to eating slugs. Gapeworms mostly live in the trachea, but can be found in the bronchi/lungs. The larvae go through the intestinal wall and go up to the lungs. Here the larvae molt, and the male and females attach to eachother. This takes about a week. Gape worm eggs can get coughed up, swallowed, or passed into the poop.
    Gasping for breath, stretching the neck, shaking the head are all common sign of Gapeworm. Also gurgling which is known as the 'tracheal rattle' are heard. This can be misdiagnosed as a respiratory infection, so keep that in mind [​IMG] When the bird get's loaded heavy all the worms clog up it's trachea, thus causing suffocation.
    Mature gape worms are Y-shaped and can grow in between 1cm-2cm long.

Hope this helped [​IMG]

WW

3. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Wow! Makes sense. How do you treat for gape worms? Thank you!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:1/4cc valbazen orally, you'll have to dose her 3-4 times at 10 day intervals IF it's gapeworm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by