Rattled breathing.. maybe sneezing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Des R, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Des R

Des R Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Maryland / Delaware
    It's been one problem after another in my flock! Let me start by saying I have no way to isolate chickens... the extra coop and run who have new pullets that could possibly have bacterial infection and have been treated for lice. In my basement is a pullet that definitely has a bacterial infection in her eye, along with an ulcer, that has tapped out my vet budget. Now my main coop has a few chickens that sound like their breathing is rattling, might have heard one sneezing, but some have a small amount of poop in their feathers near their vents. No mouth gaping, no lethargy, no runny noses, can't tell if all are eating and drinking when you have 20 :( Coop is well ventilated, cleaned daily, free of drafts and they free range a fence acre all day. I also treated them with sevin for lice as a precaution a week ago and plan to do again...

Where do I start with this? I have a local tractor supply...
    Thanks.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What does there breath smell like.Sounds like a respiratory infection so it would be best to get them started on Tylan 50.

3. Des R

Apr 27, 2016
    Maryland / Delaware
    I forgot to come back here an follow up...

When I locked up the coop the following night I put my ear to each of their chests and didn't hear anything. And again, when I let them out the next morning... nothing. And they've seemed fine ever since.

Is it possible I irritated their lungs with the Sevin powder and they cleared it out on their own, or are there other reasons they can sound like that for just a day?

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

If you cannot isolate cull the sick ones. Harsh I know, but if you do not you may have to cull them all.

I really don't know anything I am new here

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

5. Des R

Apr 27, 2016
    Maryland / Delaware
    Omgoodness, my last response was it the symptoms only last one day, now everyone is fine.

6. IdyllwildAcres

Yay:)[​IMG]

I must have missed that[​IMG]

7. IdyllwildAcres

Yay:)[​IMG]

I must have missed that[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by