Rattling sound from White Sussex hen

Gillan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
New South Wales, Australia
My White sussex hen is making strange rattling noises. She shows no signs of being ill. She still has her appetite and is walking around doing normal chicken things. Her colour is good and her eyes look fine. Could this be a chest infection, or something else?

I took this hen to the vet and turns out she has a chest infection. I placed her indoors overnight and gave her antibiotics. I thought she was going to die overnight due to loud gurgling noises, but the next day she sounded better. I kept her indoors during the day with food and water and when I came home from work the gurgling sound was almost gone. She ate and drank. It's amazing how quickly they recover....

That's a good question. I didn't take note, and I had to rip the label off the syringe in which it was provided to me so that I can see the dosages - I give her 1/2 ml once day orally (syringed into her mouth).

Maybe she ate a snake!
tongue.png

But seriosly i hope that she gets better! Good Luck
smile.png

Last edited:
Cold damp Fall weather afftect poultry and people in similar ways. It got cold and damp, and then my seasonal crud kicked up. The next day, my Broilers started it.

It's Fall. Betcha they do this in the Spring, too!

Back
Top Bottom