Ratty feathers/Mites?

haileyeverhart

Songster
7 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Illinois
I have 6 hens, one of which is around 4 years old named Lacy. She's a silver laced wyandotte with a calm nature. All winter she has had the rattiest looking feathers, thin, ripped, broken, you name it. My Mom says she looks like a frizzle. Her comb is bright red and healthy and acts as she normally does. For awhile i thought it was a bad molt but she doesnt lose the feathers they just get torn. I checked her for mites and i dont see any in her feathers and she has no bald spots but today i saw black around her eyes and on her vent, but not bad and they didnt really look like mites to me? I have no idea, for the first time since having chickens i am clueless. Should i be worried and when will those ugly feathers fall out?! Its been MONTHS. Also none of my other hens have this issue, they are beautiful. Lacy also isn't laying, but it is winter so i didnt think that made a difference.

heres a picture

I would dust her liberally with poultry dust or spray her with Gordon's poultry spray for general principle.

Ratty feathers are not a good sign and almost always indicate a pest problem. Mites can be very small and hard to see.

See if she improves with that treatment.

LofMc

Another thought...is she low on the pecking order? She may not be getting as much food as the others. Or her heavier body type may be needing more nutrients.

I'd also put some Rooster Booster multi vitamins, or similar, into the feed and make sure she gets some.

LofMc

Thank you Ill dust her today! Also shes at the top of the pecking order, she gets treats and food before anyone. I dont think its the lack of nutrients considering the rest of my flock is bigger than her and are perfectly healthy.

Back
Top Bottom