Ratty Feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Year of the Rooster, May 8, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Two of my Sebright hens have some ratty looking feathers on their tails. In March/April I plucked them because I thought they had been damaged beyond repair due to mating or mites. But now that they are coming in, they are still horrible. Is there a reason behind this? Is it genetic? Maybe they didn't receive enough protein during development? I'm puzzled..

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Seabright frizzles?

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Nope, they are not frizzles. It seems that only the tail feathers are like this.

This is a pic of one of the hens at about 6 weeks old. You can see the feathers are in bad shape. At that time none of the roos were mounting the hens so I knew it couldn't be from mating. Even after plucking them they are still coming in this way.

[​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Seems like the surrounding sheath could be having difficulties disconnecting from the actual feather.

Are you having to scrape off the feather sheath??

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Nope [​IMG] I just let them grow and once they come out of the sheath they end up like that.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just trying to cover the bases...have you moved them at all during the molt?

What are you feeding them during the molt? Have you tried increasing the protein during a molt to see if that helps? What about oils...have you increased oils as well?

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I haven't moved them at all during it. They still live in the same coop.

They eat 16% layer feed like the rest of the hens and they get the usual treats. I do, however, feed everyone some BOSS everday. I"m not sure what you mean by oils? Do you mean fats and carbohydrates?

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep...sorry! Used to calling them oils.

Yes it would be the BOSS that I would use as well to increase the oil production (fat breakdown..)

Is there any possibility of you getting a "special" bag of higher protein feed specifically for them? Just to "see"??

My Minorca always came out with those feathers. Had to scrunch out the feather sheath...ticked me off! GAH!

9. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I am thinking about buying some Gamebird feed for them. If not, then I may try using some of the higher protein feed that is for broilers or meat birds. I think its around 20% or 26%? I remember seeing some at a TSC.

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Anyone else have any guesses? I hope it's not a genetic thing..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by