ratty looking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My 6 chicks were a month old yesterday. A lot of feathers have come in, some chicks better than others", but they all look ratty. I mean a real mess. Almost like dogs with the mange where the fuzz is the feathers want to be. Do they all look that bad? They don't seem to have any problems. They eat like crazy and the cold weather just doesn't bother them at all. Even when I colder here than other days they are the first at the pop door to come out.

So my question is the ratty look normal for month old chicks? I don't remember my others looking this messy.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh yes! I call that the awkward teenage look.......It will get better, don't worry! Their fuzz is falling off, and the feathers are growing in....They have little mini molts when they're little....Soon your little ugly ducklings will become swans! [​IMG]

Perfectly normal!

Sharon

3. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    Ya. I remember when my were like that! [​IMG] They were pretty ugly, and they acted like teenagers. They didn't really like being around me or me picking them or anything. Don't worry they grow out of it, they will one day be very pretty and nice.
    Good Luck[​IMG]

4. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    LOL my little guys look like they have been run over by a lawn mower.

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I always call that the "ugly teen" stage! Remember when we were all akward with pimples ect...thats similar to the birds at this stage. They will start to fill in better at 3-4 months. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by