1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RAVEN/FRIENDHEN TEAMWORK PAYS OFF!! NOW WHAT, HELP QUICK!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknmania, Sep 4, 2007.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OH, OH, one hatched! But not only hatched, we found the chick outside by the barn with the two hens huddled close to it, apparently trying to protect it. But they act afraid of it. We put Raven, Friendhen, and the chick in an elevated secure pen. But what now? It can't walk too well yet; not sure why. It would've had to get down from the low shelf where they had their nest. It's crowded in the pen with the three of them We're half afraid they'll kill it, although they did stay with it. Should we leave the two hens with it? We caught them and put them in the pen first; they settled down a lot when we put the chick in, but they still aren't mothering it the way our other hen mothered hers. Only limited experience here, and none with TWO mother hens! Any suggestions?

2. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Last time we looked, baby Uno was under FriendHen. Raven was huddled close to both. Everyone looks happy, so we're leaving them alone.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds like she's been adopted. How wonderful. She'll be much happier raised by a mama.

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    TWO mamas! (I wrote about these two hens in "More weird behaviours" earlier this month...they really are best friends!)

5. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I am sorry but that really is an "awwww" moment. How cute! I am so happy your chicky has to mamas [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by