Raven problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kittykittykitty, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    I was out with my chickens today and I have this total setup to keep Mr. Hawk away. And it's working!!!! [​IMG]

But all that shiny stuff seems to have attracted a HUGE amount of ravens (that steal eggs, scare my chickens, and [email protected] all over my coop, patio, and yard.
    I counted and there was at least 30 in the big tree in my yard. but then 3 or 4 more showed up. When my friend came over, he said he saw at least 20-25 more ravens than before!!! HELP!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Why are they showing up in such large numbers??????

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I also had a huge problem with ravens - stealing eggs (from goose to chicken) and killing chicks and chickens.

What worked for me was a gun........no I did not shoot the ravens [​IMG] - I must admit there were times I wanted to, but I did not (I like them, just not at my place). Just shooting into the gound, was enough to startle them and start making them stay away from our property.

If you are in an area where firearm discharge is allowed, and you have a gun (I just used a 22) - you might try it, if you do not want them hanging around.

3. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Quote:I live in a pretty small neighborhood and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate hearing a gunshot coming from someones backyard. I don't know what the law here is about having firearms.

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster runs them off. Maybe you need a meaner roo! [​IMG]

5. kittykittykitty

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Quote:My rooster is pretty much useless in that category lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by