Ravenna Ohio - I need help

gzakich

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Does anyone live in the Portage County, Ohio (Ravenna) area? I really want to raise chickens for eggs, and found out there is an ordinance prohibiting chickens.

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Did you have any luck with this? We are buying a home and told chickens were ok at this home and its in Ravenna?!

http://www.ci.ravenna.oh.us/AboutRavenna/Zoning/tabid/106/Default.aspx

You should be able to call them or maybe you can get those links to work. If it's in a very obvious agriculture area (commercial farmers near by or neighbors have cows goats etc) then I'd just say yes you can have chickens. You may want to call and make sure though because sometimes under a certain acreage they will not allow chickens or they can't be housed within a certain distance of other homes.

I am looking for other home owners who live within Ravenna City limits (not the township) and would like to pursue legalizing chickens. Feel free to respond here or PM me.

Hi, I live in Streetsboro, grew up in Ca. and moved here about a year ago and purchased a home, only later to find out that chickens are not allowed! I have done some research and found a site about a group of people trying to legalize chickens in Kent, but nothing up this way. I would love to get together with a local group of like minded chicken loving individuals and talk options. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Hi, I live in Streetsboro, grew up in Ca. and moved here about a year ago and purchased a home, only later to find out that chickens are not allowed! I have done some research and found a site about a group of people trying to legalize chickens in Kent, but nothing up this way. I would love to get together with a local group of like minded chicken loving individuals and talk options. Please let me know if anyone is interested.
Hi I am from Streetsboro as well. We built a chicken coop with a covered run last year during COVID. Streetsboro is in the midst of discussing this issue with its residents and I too would like to be in a group of chicken loving people. If we can join together maybe we can change these overly restrictive rules. Many other surrounding communities allow chickens. So far the city has not said anything to us about having the chickens (shhhh I don’t think they know😊). Our neighbors are fine with them and love the eggs. I sure would hate to see my girls go

Any updates on this yet? I saw a cop sitting in the parking lot near my house which got me worried. I was told I could have chickens when I moved in and have a lot of money invested so far.

I just found this old discussion. It is actually the community I live in. I believe the movement started 5-8 years earlier with one person writing a letter and addressing the board. But it really did not go anywhere until there was a group organized for it. The size of the group needed will likely depend on the size of your community. In this case it is suggested that letters from 40+ people in support and the constant push from some vocal and determined people were able to get it passed. Georgetown township has around 50,0000 residents just to give you an idea.... it might take more or less depending on your population. I also wonder what effect chicken ordinances in your neighboring communitees might have. For example, If the next town over allows chickens and there is a perception that it is not a problem for them, then your comunitee leaders might be more willing.

here is the ordinance that was eventually adopted in georgetown
1632245791186.png

Back
Top Bottom