Ravens stealing chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robnmart, Feb 26, 2012.

1. robnmart

robnmart New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    We both work and our very productive hens, (3) molted and haven't left us any eggs since! They are in an enclosure and a closed coop at night. The ravens have become quite "friendly" and have been seen flying off with chicken eggs. Today, we were vigilant and when a hen was setting, we closed the coop and got all eggs. But we can't monitor the coop when at work. Any ideas, experience, or solutions?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome!!

Oh those ravens. They are so dang smart and sassy. We had the same issue (and if ya could see how they got in, you'd know they were geniuses!)

Unfortunately, we only solved it by keeping the coop/run closed all day. I can't remember how long it took...maybe a week? The ravens stopped the B & E.

Also, I, um, well...I gave the ravens extra treats to distract them. I'm a sucker for geniuses.

3. heathenix

heathenix New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    We have been having the same problem and then yesterday I actually caught one in the act. I slammed the run gate so he couldn't get out and when he went in the coop I shut him in there and banged on the walls and yelled. After about10 minutes I opened the coop door and backed away and when he flew out to join hoist partner in crime in a nearby tree I yelled and chased them off. Hoping they are sufficiently traumatized to think twice before coming back!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This guy keeps away crows, ravens, hawks, squirrels, birds, cats........he's my chicken body guard :)
    [​IMG]

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    now that's a body guard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by