Ravens stealing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christmas Chick, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Christmas Chick

Christmas Chick New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I just read some remarks about Ravens stealing chicken eggs and I was wondering if Crows do too. we had some issues with our chickens laying their eggs outside of the coop. I followed your advice and confined them for a week. I got plenty of eggs. now they are back out and I am back to getting 3 or 4 a day. (I have 6 chickens). We do have a lot of crows and several ravens around here and I did find a broken egg about 5 feet from the coop last week. Could this be the reason my chickens went out to lay their eggs in the first place or is the number of eggs I'm getting about right? I'm still in the learning process here and could really use your help.

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Could just be the hens eating them but it is also very possible that it is crows or ravens or magpies. They are all flying varmints.

Unfortunately, Ravens are protected in many (if not all) areas. Crows and magpies can be taken at any time if they are in the act of depredation where I live. Check your local laws carefully if you intend to use lethal means.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by