RavynFallen's Duckumentary - Call duckling babies (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Debs Flock, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    LOL, Yo thinks all the other ducks are its furniture. [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

And is the biggest, baddest little fluff in the brooder... :gig

3. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I do feel bad for the bullied 'lings, but brooder bullying is kind of funny. Little puff o' fluff thinking it's all that and when it grows up 10x its current size, it will be on the very bottom of the food chain (except for insects, worms and slugs).

When I got most of my flock, there was a miss-pick at the hatchery and I got a second Crested (a girl) instead of my WH. I called them and they took care of sending me 2 WH (they can't ship 1 bird). I made arrangements to rehome the Crested girl as well as one of the WH when it came in. When the WH came in, one was WAY bigger than the other. Since they were a week behind the rest of the flock, we decided to keep the bigger one so it would have a chance to blend in. This was Rhiannon. The other duck we referred to as "No Name" since she just stayed long enough to stabilize. They arrived Wednesday and the plan was that we would take No Name to Murdoch's on Saturday. Well Friday morning they were strong and doing fairly well so we moved them over to the main brooder. At this point, they were 4 days old, the rest in the brooder were 11 days old. Rhiannon was shy and slowly introduced herself around the brooder She was as big as the runners so wasn't that much out of place. Everyone liked her. No Name was about 2/3 the size of Rhiannon. She ran around the brooder and pecked everyone in the head right away - including the Pekin who was 4X her size. They didn't take too kindly to that and they all pecked her back. I scooped her out, put her in the box and took her to Murdoch's a day early. Figured she could try it again with a less hostile group. She was much better behaved when she was put in their brooder. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No Name (Top left) and Rhiannon (Rest of pic) - you can see the size difference at 2 days old [​IMG]I think that is why Rhiannon is currently bigger than our Swedish and Rouens even though WH is typically a smaller breed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    Ravyen lucky you! A whole place dedicated just to brood!

And tevyes dad: cute picture of chicks

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    So glad you kept Rhiannon, she is lovely... got a chuckle outta the visual of No Name, lol... luckily, Yo isn't like that, think it's more of the little sibling the older ones tolerate and lets get away with everything... when you walk up to them, Yo runs to the outside closest to you and stands up as tall as he can to peer up and chatter directly to you... meanwhile, leaning against the 2 biggest that are behind him... :gig

6. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Rhiannon was always going to be kept... [​IMG]She was the whole reason for the second shipment. Also the lady at Murdoch's has heard back from the owners of both the other crested and "no name" (they were kind of special since none of Murdoch's ducks were either breed nor were they sexed which these were) and apparently they are delights to their owners who come back in and talk with her. [​IMG]

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

That's really awesome... glad they both got good homes... :)

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    New babies!!!

Biggest hatch yet... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    So many fun colors!! Congratulations on the great hatch.

1 person likes this.
  10. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    So so so precious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by